Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Defective cylinder head bolt threads
By sorrynow

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this as a new vehicle and have been very pleased with it until today. We found out that we have a leak that can only be fixed by a $5000 bandaide
that Toyota has defined in Toyota's techincal bulletin T-SB-0015-11.
The bolt holes in the cylinder block must be tapped to install an insert to hold new bolts.

We now have to find a way to replace this vehicle! So much for Toyota!

spend 25,000 on this vehicle and toyota won"t stand behind it ?

2006 Highlander Nice choice
By gary

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Typical good Toyota quality, interior very bland and plain, small armrest, 3rd seat is so small it is unusable Smooth running, great in the snow. with 4WD Overpriced compared to other similar SUV But is a good vehicle with no problems so far.

more room in 3rd seat, rear seat ventilation controls,

Whatamistake
By Whatamistake

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a '07 Mitsubishi Endeavor and traded with this vehicle for more seating capacity. I thought Toyota is dependable but I was wrong. Something is draining the battery AND brakes travels longer at first stop. I freaked out when it feels my vehicle will not stop. Dreaded when I come back to my vehicle and wondering if it will start. NHTSA has many reports in regards to my brake issue. Toyota have not recall this vehicle and hope it will soon.

Power, ride, space and driver seat.

Brakes, electrical and front cup holder design.

Still love it 3 yrs later!
By toyotalover

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Toyota and I love driving it now as much as I did at first. Always dependable, no problems whatsoever. I like the tight steering, low turning radius... drives like a car. Easy to handle, even when loaded with weight. 4 cyl. is plenty of power for me. Big enough for my 6'2 stocky husband. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed city/hwy driving... wish it was more, but hey, I can't complain. I love this vehicle.

dependable! hugs the road, easy to park, comfortable on trips

better MPG, lower price

Most boring & best vehicle I have owned
By Andy S.

2006 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our Highlander has been nothing but flawless. Not a single warranty issue and it does an excellent job as our family vehicle. The only thing I would have done different was not get the 3rd row seat. It was never used once in the almost 4 years I have owned it. Also, if you want to buy a first generation Highlander, I highly recommend getting a 2005-2007 model. This was after the Minor Model change and the interior is much better than the 2004 and earlier models.

The all wheel drive is not as good as an Audi or Subaru, but it still does a great job when it snows. The JBL stereo is also a nice upgrade.

The only downside is the engine. The 3.3L V6 is adequate (in both power and fuel economy), but the new 3.5L V6 and 2.4L/2.5L I4 engines Toyota has now are so much better.