Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Paint chiping off
By Mike

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The paint on the drivers side mirror is not only chipping away but you can actually see it bubbling. The car has less than 50K miles on it but the dealer will not repair or replace the mirror. I also have a 2000 Honda Accord 6 cyc. I looks and drives like it's brand new. And is has 111K miles on it with no major work whatsoever. Bottom line, stay away from Toyota. You will never go wrong with a Honda.

Fix your cheap paint!!!

Decent, solid, reliable Toyota
By James

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 4.5 years and have had no issues. Transmission shifting from 3rd to 4th is a bit "herky jerky" at times but the overall ride is extremely smooth. Plan on buying another one in 2-3 years. A solid buy.

Confidence
By handymanron

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Having my driver's license since the 1960's, I grew up with 'The Big Three', and I always liked American made cars. But when the American automakers don't or won't give you a gas sipper when you ask for it, you look elsewhere. Since 2003 I have bought two new Toyotas and this, almost one year old with only 15,000 miles. I couldn't be happier. Following recommended maintenance schedules, I've not had one necessary repair or return to the dealership or local mechanic. They're well built so you can embark on any trip with a comforting sense of confidence that you'll reach your destination without a mechanical failure.

Great performance from the powerful V- 6, interior comfort in any seat, excellent crash test results, loos good, and good gas mileage. 19-23.

I can't think of anything about this vehicle I would change.

Quality and Customer Service Failing
By SUV Woes

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander new and I have been disappointed in the quality and customer service since that day. The SUV had rail dust that required several treatments but still exists. My front differential began leaking at 42,000 miles and it was repaired. But at 65,000 miles it is leaking again. Told cost to repair is 1,900 and no break from the dealership or the corp. Factory tires had to be replaced too soon and the rear rotors as well because Toyota installs cheap ones now. I've learned to stay away from Toyota and always buy the extended warranties.

It is now paid off.

Stand behind their quality and customer service. Toyota quality is a joke, buyer beware.

Superb vehicle
By Gus

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic car. I have driven it for the past 3 1/2 years and I have had NO problems at all with this car. When Edmunds said this car was reliable back in 2005, they were on the mark! Please see positives and negatives below.

1) Very very smooth driving. It's like riding on cotton. The steering is soft. Was pretty much identical to the Lexus RX that I test drove. 2) Reliability. No problems with anything, which should be the case with a new car. Great job Toyota.

1) Toyo tires that came with the car were not great in the snow. 2) If you have more than 1 window open, especially the back windows, there is a loud thundering noise which is unbearable. Not sure if fixed this in new model. 3) Cloth seats are hard. I recommend getting leather if possible.