Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

"My first Toyota..Oh what a delight"
By Jacksonville Bill

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm totally pleased with my 2005 Toyota Highlander, 2.4 four cylinder, Sonora Gold Pearl aka "Goldilocks or Goldie". She's just right! This vehicle does everything my 1994 Ford Aerostar van did and more. I can haul people, cargo and my dog "Blue" in relative comfort and it has four doors! The ride is so smooth and comfortable. I feel like I'm floating on a cloud. I have a daily commute of 40 miles round trip and the mileage I'm getting is remarkable and because of all the safety features my insurance rate only increased $5.00 a month. "Oh what a savings". I love my Toyota Highlander.."Oh what a delight".

I love the electronic stability system. Excellent on rain slick roads especially in Florida where we experience an occasional hurricane or two or three or... This is the safest vehicle I've ever owned.

None.

Good job
By BC

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I bought the Highlander after months of research. The reliability and reputation of Toyota went a long way in our decision. The gas mileage helped, too. I don't know where they got the 19/21 on the sticker, but I routinely get 25-plus out of my 6-cylinder. The exterior could be a little jazzier, and I have trouble with the steering wheel audio controls. While I'm driving, my thumb hits the "mode" button, turning on the stereo when I'm not expecting it.

Comfortable seating and lots of leg room, even though I'm over 6 feet tall. Lots of storage spaces. Great for long trips.

Rethink the placement of the audio controls on the steering wheel. Give the exterior design some spark.

Very Good -- not Great
By Bill

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven it over 5K miles. Overall, I think it is a good car. It's very peppy at slow speeds and is great on mountain roads. At high speeds, on the interstate, the transmission continually shifts on minor hills until it's annoying. Rush hour on the interstate is not fun! Downshifting is slow and uncertain! It's almost dangerous when trying to change lanes quickly. It holds the road great, steering is very responsive, allwheel drive is very good and it rides smoothly. Gas mileage is poor - about 22; only 10% better than my full size Chevy pickup and my Lexus LS 400.

Auto close feature on drivers window.

Better matching of engine and transmission. Better gas mileage. Add adjustable lumbar support to the passenger seat.

Good safe choice
By winston

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I were comparing Honda Pilot and Highlander. Decided on Toyota because of finance deal and 6 disc changer that dealer put in and DVD system. Toyota is a little smaller than Pilot and does not ride as high, but makes it easier for my wife to get in the car. Drives very smoothly with good power curve when accelerating. Also has better gas mileage than Pilot. Interior is well laid out with features such as backset bottle holders and backseat is comfortable and reclines.

DVD system which is actually two separate units (one for each headrest).Comfortable seats. Smooth drive that handles bumps well.

6 CD changer control in awkward place behind gear shift. No AC vents for backseat

2000 MILE ROAD TEST
By KEVIN H

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I picked this vehicle up on a Friday the 17th of June for the start of our trip on Saturday the 18th of June 2005. From Saturday through Sunday the 26th of June I logged 2016 miles. This is not your fathers oldsmobile!!! We have owned 5 camrys and this would be our first SUV. This car ran flawless. It is suprising that after all the research I do on new vehichles, I keep coming back to Toyota. The craftsmanship is outstanding from layout to finish. I find this to be my safe haven. Quality.

Quiet refined ride. Felt very safe, a solid feel to this vehicle. Spacious cabin, controls easily adjustable. Ride was impressive on the main roads as it was on back roads. Seating was comfortable, except the drivers seat was too hard. Plenty of room for guests and luggage. Loved the sun roof.

Improve drivers seat, to firm.Improve JBL sound system to weak.Sun roof controls are a little confusing. Thats it. Overall a remarkable vehicle.