Used 2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

WOW Awesome SUV
By PAT

2005 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is an awesome SUV. I wanted an RX330 but glad I chose the Highlander for its looks, reliability and performance. Feel like a dream when I drive this SUV. It is spaceous, comfortable and floats on air. Love it!!

The console for its accessbility.

Seems to have some "blind" spots or maybe its because this is a larger SUV than I had before.

Smooth Highlander
By Shania Jackson

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's like I'm driving a smooth toyota car but I'm sitting up higher. It maneuvers smoothly around NYC corners and it's easy to transport the elderly in it.

Multiple cup holders for my 8yr old son (door and rear seat divider)

Scotch guard the cloth seats!

Our traveler
By stan

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the Highlander in February. It's only used as a family car. Since owning it we have taken it from Maine to Florida and have had no problems at all. The back seat became a little cramped for our 2 children ages 11 and 14 however we did make use of a luggage carrier and that did help a lot. We have never used the third row seat. I find it a pleasure to drive with plenty of power. It did take little while to learn the switches. The limited off-road capability is to be taken seriously. I have gotten it stuck twice in sand and have determined that I would have been better served in a 4-runner only because of my off-road demands. Overall I would consider it a wonderful vehicle.

We feel it drives and rides wonderfully. With a trailer hitch it does become versatile .

My only suggestion would be to have more off-road capability.

Not A Bad Drive
By MCavallu

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle mainly because of an earlier family purchase of a Celica back in 1985 when my 2 brothers & I beat the heck out of it. This version however isn't exactly what I expected. First, the paint had chips at delivery, then one fog light was out & EVER since I owned it, the automatic shift isn't so fluid & the city gas mileage isn't near the "average" at all. A/C on a hot day just doesn't get cold enough! The car is indeed fun to drive but the driver's seat seems to tilt too forward almost making one feel like they're falling off the seat. Having said all of these things, I still feel it's a good, highly rated, vehicle.

3rd Row (although tight), ride quality, excellent workmanship.

Smoother shifting tranny, improved gas mileage, tilt of drivers seat & A/C temperature.

Great vehicle
By Gina

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We did a lot of researching before buying this car. I used to own a 1994 Corolla and was scared this would be a difficult transition. I have been very impressed with the car so far. The fuel economy is not that bad. I average about 22 miles per gallon. The ride is very smooth and the the car handling is impressive.

Power seats, road noise, handling

Quality of some of the interior features is poor. Sunglass holder has gotten jammed, cigarette lighter not attached well. Obviously if these are my only complaints it must be a good car.