Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Tires humming
By Vic Patel

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used. No problem for a first couple of months. Even at 125,000 miles, the only problem is tires. I bought all four tires brand new. After about 20,000 miles on the tires they started to hum at speeds of 40 and up. The faster you go the more annoying the humming sound gets. I have had checked the front end alignment, and the tires seem to have worn evenly. Still I do not know what the problem is.

Wonderful vehicle
By Hardycreek

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It does all things well - carries our canoe, or our bikes, I've even laid down the back seat & slept in it. Fun to drive, comfortable, great reaction. Love this Toyota!

4x4 traction, good ground clearance

had to replace the one-piece temp control panel at $700, other than that, works great.

Good and irritants of a used Highlander
By Darrel

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 6 cy Higlander w 55 K miles - now have 75 K. I like the accelleration, power to pass & cruise at max highway speed, solid highway handling in the Kansas wind and great visibility. The 4wd has proven fabulous in rain, snow and ice. 3 irritants: Major irritant with the ABS/TPM, 2 times Toy. dealer rotated tires recommended every 10K. Takes 2 to 3 trips back to dealer to get it reset without coming on at fist big bump. The reset works but lasts until next bump/dip. Loose nut/broke wire on fan switch was surprise - $$$Ouch to fix. See internet for that problem. MPG is OK but less than I thought at just 21 at 65 mph. I'm glad I got the 3rd row seat but grandkids struggle to enter

4wd in bad weather. Good passenger and cargo size for my current needs. Cruises nicely at 80 mph in crosswinds with decent MPG of 19.

Can't stand the helicopter noise with back window down. Why did it take Toyota so long to fix the loose nut problem on the blower motor switch that results in the wire fatiguing and breaking? Toyota should have paid some of the cost to fix since a design flaw not to use a lock nut or Locktite.

Solid As A Rock
By Steve

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Highlander since it was new and run up 70k on it. So far so good. No major problems. I have only changed the oil and tires. We do have an AC problem with it getting warm as you turn corners or hit a bump. Its a common problem and you need to pull out the control panel and soder the wires back on. I will get around to it some time. The gas mileage is fine for a midsize SUV, what do people expect when the buy the car? Highway driving will get you maybe 22 if you drive 65 otherwise its 19-20 mpg. Combined we average about 17. The Highlander suffers from some wind and road noise and the back seat could use a little more leg room. I have found it to be a very capable car.

Reliability, handling in snow, ride quality, materials are good quality

Limit wind noise, less intrusive wheel wells in the cargo area.

A Diamond in the Rough
By JET

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever owned. This car is not indicative of the current problems that Toyota is having. A totally reliable automobile that offers everything you need in an SUV. I never had to take this car in for any major problems, and you can even hear the engine at idle.