Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 311 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

The best car I have ever owned
By jane

2003 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If this car died today it would owe me absolutely nothing. I have never had it back to the dealer for anything but routine maintenance. In fact at 111,000 miles I just took it in for a brake job and was told that they could save the rotors. These are the original brakes!!! Bet you wouldn't get that on an American car. Love this vehicle. Hope it lasts like the ones on the TV ads for at least 300,000 miles. I started driving in 1966 and have had many cars but this one is by far the best I have ever owned.

I love the fact that it's so easy to drive. I just get in put it in gear and I'm off. It's very comfortable.

Can't think of any improvements they could have made to make it any better.

Great SUV
By Vlad

2003 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car two months ago. Great SUV. Has a lot of leg room for the driver (I am 6'3), has plenty of room in the bask seat. Lots of storage. Great in snow (I live in Cleveland). Great gas mileage for SUV. I recommend the 6 cylinder as the 4 cylinder is somewhat underpowered (driven the 4 cylinder also) and not much better fuel economy.

Plenty of room, good pick up, versatile.

None - great SUV all around.

Very satisfied owner
By Arizona Bob

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Most of my driving is long distant and here in AZ when the temp. is over 100 degrees the car is great and the AC does a good job. The average speed here is between 75 and eighty and I have had no problems overheating. My goal is to reach 300000 miles. I am now at 60000 and everything is original but the tires.

Comfort, quiet and solid, still not a rattle at 60000 miles. Highway mileage at about 21 mils per gal. not bad at 75 mph plus.

Get rid of the ggodyear intergra tires, I replaced them at about 50,000 miles, made a super differnce in handling, should have done it sooner. Better dashboard lighting, Can not see it in the daytime.

2003 Highlander (2.4L 4A)
By Rich

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Highlander has been a very reliable vehicle. It's very well built and has lots of room. I'm always amazed how much I can stuff into it! The handling and traction has improved considerably after replacing the cheap OEM Goodyear Integritys with Michelin LTXs. The 4 cyl isn't exactly a tire-burner but it consistently gets upper 20s to lower 30s mileage on the highway. We tow a two PWC trailer at just over 2000 lbs. and pulls it nicely at speeds up to 60 mph. Over that and the engine has to work quite hard. Needless to say the mileage drops to the low teens. Overall, I'm hard pressed to find something as roomy and versatile as our Highlander on the market today!

Comfortable ride, roomy, great mileage and very well built. The handling is very well mannered. Many standard features that are optional on similar domestic models. The 4 cyl is more than adequate for 90% of our driving needs.

Very conservative styling. The front doors need to be a couple of inches longer to make getting in and out a bit easier. Needs a digital compass and outside temperature display. And better OEM tires.

My Favorite Car
By Ancistrus

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned/co-owned 9 cars. This one is my favorite. No problems at all in 57,000 miles.

Tight steering. Comfortable interior.

The 3.0 L engine in the 2003 wasn't really big enough. I've driven a 2007 with a larger engine and it was a bit faster at acceleration. Also, I've never really liked the HVAC controls.