2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Review: Bad Engine!

2002 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Bad Engine!
By jbass5 on

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

"We bought our Highlander four years ago and have loved it til now. It seems there are a batch of Toyota 6cyl engines with bad valve seals. Toyota was repairing these engines until 2010. They absolve themselves after a vehicle is 8 years old. We bought our Highlander in 2010 with only 87000mi. It now has 133000mi. Now in the last six months the engine consumes large quantities of oil. The symptom of these engines with bad seals is they consume oil when driven at highway speeds. A service mgr at the local Toyota dealer confirmed this valve seal problem when I described the pattern of oil consumption, a $2700. repair at the dealer if it is still repairable! the six seals cost $6 each!"

-I wrote the review above four years ago and we still have our '02 Highlander. We have not fixed the valve seal problem but live with it. It seems only to be an issue on the highway during which it will consume a quart of oil with each tank of gas! Other than that it is a great vehicle.. We have had few maintenance problems and is incredibly reliable and worry free. Fuel economy is not great, high teens around town and barely over 20 mpg on the highway but i believe this is in line with every other suv of this era. i have to praise Toyota for the durability of the suspension which is still firm and tight and holding up much better than other cars I have owned. If not for the valve seal issue I would rate this vehicle 5+stars!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By eenglish99
on 10/21/15 09:01 AM (PDT)

RE: Oil consumption on 2002 Highlander. My FIX is to just drive a little slower. I used 9 quarts driving from Mass to Florida. If I drive locally I use 0. I found if I drive 65 and lower I use no oil. This is a bit painful in Florida where the speed limit is 70 and everyone drives 80+ but in many places 65 is the speed limit. Try it.