Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 229 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

GREAT S.U.V.
By robert henry

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this suv brand new in 2002, I just replaced timing belt, did not need too, belts, hoses, fluids, sparkplugs at 90,000, replaced brake pads at 70,000 overall this is the best s. U. V. We bought. My wife will not give this one up.

Heated seats, safety, looks

Wind noise at highway speeds,

Used 2002s Are Awesome!!
By mechanicsrule923

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own two 2002 models - one with 110,000 miles, the other with 170,000. And they're still perfect! Toyota did it right with these models. The interior is still modern by today's standards. And the 3.0L V6 is a beast! It runs so smoothly and quietly; and yet it is extremely powerful and responsive. We've never had a problem - no leaks, no noises, no dysfunctions. I've replaced typical parts: tires, air filters, oil, bulbs, etc. and it runs like new! The parts are easy to find and cheap, too! My other cars are at least $60,000 each; but the $14,000 I spent on each of these Highlanders was much better spent! If you find one, buy it!

Reliable engine, quiet and modern interior, durable parts, great fuel economy - even for a V6!

Can't think of any - Toyota did it right that year (2002)!

Disappointed long time Toyota owner
By JoesHomeWorkshop

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle started out OK with no issues. By the time 70,000 miles rolled around we had unending engine light problems which the dealer kept "fixing" by running "calibration". This held for a few months at a time until the emissions warranty ran out. Then a "surprise" quote to the tune of $1,000 for catalytic converter job! At 104,000 miles the vehicle came to a literal "grinding" halt with a $4,000 transmission repair quote from a dealer. Took it an independent reputable tranny shop that found a pinion gear roll pin that had not been installed right at the factory, had backed out and caused damage to the transmission. Claim to Toyota did nothing. I had better luck with my other Toyotas.

Good in snow. Other than problems above no issues.

Quality has obviously slipped since my 1986 Celica that seem to run and run. I hope Toyota is reading this. I may now have to look elsewhere for the next vehicle.

2002 Highlander Review
By Jerry

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased the Highlander 6 years ago after much research. We moved to the city so this is our only car which does it all. It was an excellent buy and have not had a major problem, worst thing to happen was heater switch had to be repaired for $350. Highly recommend. We have a 2WD V6 which we both feel handles great and gets 20MPG in city and 24 on road with 87 octane. Drives just like a car. We buy cars that last and drive them till they die. Our next car will be a Hybrid Highlander but it may be a while before this one quits!

We like the comfortable adjustable seats and the armrests. Rear seats are also comfortable. We like remote adjustable rear view mirrors, good safety ratings, excellent reliability, good visibility, great cargo space.

Replace full size spare with donut to give more space in rear storage area. Redesign front center console, poor present design. Improve rear center console with cup holder. Improve rear seat ventilation (possibly include controls). Improve lumbar support in both front seats.

Best I've Had
By Nick

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV after a lot of research. It seemed to have what we were looking for in a family car. We have had it for almost three years and love it. We use either 89 or 93 octane fuel and consistently get 23-24 mpg in city and highway. The seats are not as comfy as my old Ford Ranger when it comes to long trips (3+ hrs) but they are fine for normal travel. It handles like a nice car. We really love everything about this car and have no major complaints. We would recommend considering one to anyone who asks. We did wish it was a little cheaper at the time of purchase, but we figured we will get what we pay for. Our Highlander is a keeper.

Good fuel economy. Nice handling. Adequate safety ratings. Reliability. Cargo space is better than many in same class of vehicle. Multiple outlets for power.

More comfortable seats in basic models. At least include lumbar support. Less confusing stick controls (for wipers). AC control for rear seat. make better use of center console space. It gets cluttered very quickly. Include a rear seat cup holder in middle.