Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 229 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

New to toyota
By debb/rud

2002 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First let me say I didn't want this car but we bought it because it was in our price range. It had 77,000 miles when purchased. I am happy to say it grew on me over the past 2 yrs. Great fuel usage (400+ to the tank), low maintenance cost and reliability. Ours has 135,000 miles and the drivetrain is still strong! I have the 4 cylinder And it drives like a six cylinder Interior is durable and shows very little wear (even with the dogs) easy to clean and the paint still looks good.

low maintenance costs, reliable, fuel economy

on long trips (over 5-6 hours) the seats are uncomfortable. a better design or more padding? for the seating would help

I thought Toyotas were some of the best
By ecbuzz

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the vehicle. It fit me to a "T". After owning it for about 1 1/2 years I started having problems with skipping. After several mechanics looking at it, I took it to a transmission man and he found a ball bearing had broken and ground up in the transmission so I had to replace it. He said he's has several Toyotas with the same thing. In 2010 it started loosing oil but couldn't find where. The third mechanic found it had a broken oil ring on the #1 cylinder and needs a new motor. So much for Toyota.

I am a small person and this was a great fit. I really like it but its integrity is not very good.

Simply Irresistable!
By toyota girl

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a wonderful car. I bought mine brand new and I now have 79,000 miles on it. It has never needed anything other than a new battery and one new set of tires. I changed my tires to Toyo as I think they handle better. I treat my cars good and have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. It looks great, but better yet it runs great. That's the thing about Toyota's. They just run. I hate cars that break down constantly on the side of the road, and it's never even a consideration with this car. I expect to have some expense around 90,000. Timing chain and anything else it needs. I did have the front brakes done recently. Buy this car! You won't regret it.

The heated seats.

Better gas mileage and more speed.

Reliable
By Brooke

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. In its 106K miles and counting, I've never had to do a single mechanical repair on it. Just brakes and tires! It's fully loaded and has all the bells and whistles I need. Drives smoothly, corners well and has plenty of cargo room. It's comfortable too. I miss my arm rest when I drive my husband's car or a rental.

Attention to detail and reliability. Arm rests, running boards, JBL Audio.

Can't roll down the windows when driving over 40 MPH due to wind noise.

Excellent, quiet and reliable
By RS

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car still rides quiet (make sure to use quiet riding tires), has had very few problems that required any major work. Gives 18 city, 22 highway in Summers at speed limit. Take 10% off in CT winters. My car was built in Japan. Only brakes and scheduled maintenance work have been needed. Had engine check light come on after maintenance, but mechanic reset it at no charge. Battery needed change after 6 years. On the negative side, I the old tires wore out unevenly. Now I get them aligned annually. Great SUV. Will buy again if mileage is improved significantly without too much loss of power. This SUV still looks modern in styling and finish.

Very smooth car like drive, very tightly built, no rattles. Very reliable and fun to drive. Handles well, has many safety features and looks great even after 8+ years !

Better fuel economy. Keep up the quality and safety record of Toyota as it was in 2001 when this SUV was built ! Provide a Compass with other trip monitoring readouts that are provided.