Used 2001 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

My 3rd Toyota
By EdmondOklahoma

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a Tercel and a Camry and both were great cars, but the Highlander is my favorite Toyota. I bought a 2001 in 2003 and have had no problems. LOVED it when I bought it and still love it 3 years later.

Plenty of power, sits high enough without being a monster, great for hauling kids and "stuff", just plain cute.

Love it, but... redesign front seat cupholders, more cushioning on leather seats, find a way to stop the "helicopter" noise when windows are open.

5yrs and 35k miles, still loving it
By goldston

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. My wife loves this year model due to the non-connected shift pod to the console layout. It's been a very reliable vehicle and we see ourselves owning our H/L for another 5yrs at least.

5 years with a Highlander
By jackgray

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In 77000 miles of chicago winters and texas summers this car has never caused me a problem. All I have spent on it is changed the tires atg 35000 and bought 4 michelin crossterrains.They are a little harder ride than the bridgestone OEM but still have about another 10K in them. I bought this the first year they were out and have never regretted it once.

Rides like a car even with the Michelins. Reliability is Toyotas market niche. I feel like I should replace the battery before next winter, even thogh its Ok!!!!

Improve the ride for the rear seat, and forget about the third seat. The V6 is thirsty (19/21mpg my experience). Add a hybrid to the 4 cylinder and we might get 30-35 mpg. Who wants to pay $40000 for a hybrid limited. Improve the flimsy armrests

AWESOME ALL AROUND!
By highaudio

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is so versatile... excellent reliability -- done nothing with it but gotten oil changes.

Back seats are extremely roomy compared to the competition

More horsepower?

Leased It, Gonna' Buy It
By Dan Martincic

2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Because my new job came with a company car, it made sense to sell my pickup. However, this left my family without a vehicle to haul pets, outdoor gear and any large items (couch, lawn mower, etc.). My wife, bless her heart, agreed to trade in her Lexus ES 300 for a Toyota Highlander. Five years later, she still loves her Highlander. The ride, the convenience for hauling people and things and especially the great sound system (the girl loves her country music). Rather than replace the it when the lease is up, we're buying it. It runs so well and has needed only very minor repairs. This is a well designed vehicle built by Toyota. Enough said!

The smooth ride for an SUV is great. And man it can hold some very big items.

The exterior is still a little "station-wagony" looking. I don't have the answer, but I think the back end could look better.