Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Mixed emotions
By grider

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My feelings on this vehicle are very mixed. We bought this to replace our gas guzzling pathfinder. It is touted as getting between 25 & 27 miles to the gallon, which we were getting until about a month ago when it fell and has not gone above 22 MPG. We took it in to get inspected and went through all the obvious factors, tire pressure, driving habits,and so on. They informed us that it takes 5,000 to 10,000 miles to "break in" the vehicle and see the actual MPG.We were informed that 26 MPG was not actually realistic and those tests are done under conditions which are impossible to drive under. I am not saying its a bad vehicle, but don't believe your salesperson that u are going to get 26 MPG

Very comfortable and spacious

Lower the price!! You are saving money in gas just to jack up your payment. FYI, they took away the tax incentive for this hybrid vehicle because people were buying too many we did not find this out until after purchase, we just assumed we would get the tax incentive.

Impressive gas mileage
By MM

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just leased our 2008 highlander hybrid and currently have 800 miles logged. We are averaging 27.4 mpg and utilizing the econ and ev modes. Without those, our average was around 24. The vehicle is very comfortable and fits my 6'7" very well. Overall, it is a very quiet vehicle.

Econ and ev mode. Back up camera standard. Easy access if you want to upgrade the lights. Technology. MPG for size of vehicle.

An automatic rear door should be standard on all models. It is very heavy and close to impossible to close with one arm. LED lights and HID standard.

The Perfect Balance
By Al

Wow! This vehicle has an excellent balance of performance, economy, ergonomics and reliability. Beginning with Toyota's amazing commitment to quality and reliability. Continue with Toyota's attention to comfort and ergonomics. Top it all off with 270 hp and 460 ft lbs of torque (almost as much as my turbo diesel!!) and it's hard to believe that it holds 7 people and gets 27 mpg!! We traded our Sequoia in for the Highlander and haven't looked back (we loved our Sequoia!). I think I love it more than my Camry hybrid and my diesel truck! Especially as fuel moves well over 4.00/gallon.

Ride, creature comforts, power and, of course, mpg!!

As others have said, the 3rd row seat must be split 50/50 or 60/40. Back-up sensors should be a standard for this caliber vehicle.

Definitely different! Great car!
By Steve

Driving a hybrid in order to maximize fuel economy is definitely a skill. And that is why I had to give a lower "fun" score. Simply getting in the car and driving away as you would any other car will not yield optimal fuel economy. Read about "hypermiling" for more info. The power steering and shocks could be a little stiffer to give a sportier, controlled driving experience. The car leans more into turns than my 4Runner. The interior is definitely designed for luxury and comfort. The Synergy system and variable transmission work seamlessly to provide power when needed.

The EV Only button, larger navigation/system info screen and 19" wheels made the top of my favorites list.

Lower the price. $10,000+ for Hybrid system is a bit steep. Sportier steering and shocks. Enhance EV Only mode speed and distance. And add an driver activated 4WD or AWD performance when situation demands it.

Happily owned
By first hybrid

Just purchased 200 miles ago. You must drive in eco to receive better fuel economy. Bought it to replace a Odyssey. With our family of 5 the room is good. Cargo space is smaller than van but leg room is equal. Lots of power, options and comfort. We are getting 23 mpg but expect to do better with experience. Good replacement of a bad gas mileage van.

Blue tooth, eco and ev mode, fuel ecomony monitoring, and navigation.

Too get picky the third row should split, the nav should not lock out when moving. I pod should work with nav. The dvd playershould be controlled from nav. You must use remote control to power on and start movie without seeing menus.