Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Great Green SUV
By JE

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car since Dec 2007 and love it. I've been averaging 25.5 mpg (through winter, spring, and summer driving). It's been great for my family of four with plenty of space. I bought the base model but added leather (through a 3rd party), nav, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, DVD interoperability, a rear DVD player and heated seats. These additions probably saved me approx $5K over getting them through Toyota on the Limited package.

Driving is extremely comfortable - quiet ride, very smooth, lots of room.

Toyota should offer more options in the base package. I had the POPULAR PLUS package which is nice but I wasn't able to do any a la carte from it.

I would buy another one
By mcnamara

We have owned the vehicle for 5 months. There has not been one problem with the car. Mileage 27.5 mpg city and 26 - 30 mpg on the highway. Most driving is at 5,000 to 6,500 feet above sea level. Gasoline is typically purchased with an ethanol/regular mixture. The ride is quiet and smooth. Plenty of power.

Lots of room for a family of 4 plus all of the stuff. Mid row captain chairs with middle seat option is great. Like the fact that we have an available 3rd row of seats if needed. Auto lift gate, XM radio, ride, auto temperature, digital display status.

Plug in electric for city driving 40 mpg average would be a good goal for a vehicle of this size

Could be a lemon
By Sr Tocino

We have purchased the hybrid and so far we are far from satisfied. The black box that displays engine performance has died. Lojack and handsfree telephone (dealer installed) took 2 weeks to get installed and the handsfree doesn't work and there was no manuals for either. We were told by the salesman and his manager we could get a luggage rack without having to get the sunroof (between skin cancer on my bald head and the fact I'm 6'4" the sunroof takes up headroom) only to be told after buying the car we couldn't get a rack without the sunroof package. We bought the vehicle to take our kayak and gear to the shore, now we can't. I feel that Toyota is taking customers for granted.

gas mileage

Roofracks, aftermarket add ons that work.

Great Car ! Very happy with purchase.
By JAB

We bought this vehicle about 6 weeks ago and love it! The mileage is right about what it is rated at 27/city, 25/hwy. It probably could get better but I don't like always driving like a grandma so that's great mpg for me. The car has a lot of power when you need it such as getting on highways, etc., and has a smooth ride.

Popular Plus package with auto lift-gate and separate glass opening, auto temperature for front and second row seats, third row seating. The space is great!

Programmable seating for 2 drivers. Slightly sportier suspension.

Well-planned
By mb

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! We got it b/c we wanted an SUV for kids and knew we'd get hit hard at gas pumps, but also b/c in test drive, it was the most comfortable, and most thoughtfully planned interior of many SUVs, including new Acuras. I've had a honda for 11 yrs and enjoyed the FWD, the reliability and all the nooks and crannies in it (I miss those hidden compartments) but this car has style, more cupholders than you could possibly need and that 3rd seat in the 2nd row is an amazing feature!

Nav system, bluetooth, sunroof, watching the energy go from elec to gas and back, 12 cupholders and I LOVE the auto open/close hatchback

Allow nav system changes while driving - what's the passenger for, anyway?! Reduce cost. You certainly don't break even at the gas station when you pay 10k extra for hybrid, but it may sell quicker in a few yrs than the typical SUV guzzler.