Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Love it
By highlandreview

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this car 1 week a go with only 7 miles on the odometer. I put 900 miles on it in one week (went on a road trip). I have averaged 26 mpg both in city and highway. I drove over a nail and a warning light showed me that I was losing psi in one of the tires. Without this feature I could have been stuck late at night on the road with 2 young kids. I stopped at the nearest gas station, filled up with air, and made it to my destination safely. I have a fully loaded limited hybrid and love it! The kids watched movies on the dual tv headrests while I listened to my iPod and called family via the voice activated blue tooth feature.

Bluetooth, iPod aux, voice activated navigation w backup cam, tire pressure readings, mpg consumption, movable middle 2nd row seat, lots of space for backpacks in second row, 3rd row when needed for extra passengers, moon roof, headrest tv(s), smart key, good ground clearance, lumbar/ thigh support

Upgrade nav dvd to allow no-lock out when passenger weight detected, display which tire needs air, allow iPod control via steering wheel - improve voice recognition for telephone number (sometimes had to repeat number 6-7 times before the computer understood -and English is my native language ;)

Toyota Highlander
By RICHARD12342

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this vehicle because of a desire to do my part against OPEC and I needed a new one. The car started out with a mileage of 11.5 miles per gallon on the dash board computer. After approx 120 miles it is up to 22.5. So far I am disappointed because I am expecting to get the sticker mileage of 27 MPG. I was shocked and disappointed by the lack of luggage room when the fold away seats were unfolded. Folded there is plenty of room for stuff. I missed having my headlights turn on automatically when needed. I love the key less operation but because of the quietness I have gotten out of the car with the car still "running." roof needs protective strips to protect carrying baggage.

Hybrid although a large capacity hybrid battery would allow for more electric travel. Keyless operation is wonderful. Backup camera

Automatic headlight turn on. Needs a better owners manual made just for this car. Larger hybrid battery for longer electrical running.

More Than Expected
By Freemarket2010

Picked this up last month. Got it at invoice since the car market is slow and 2009 models are coming. VERY impressed with the car. Drove every hybrid out there and thought the RX400h would be the one but there is really no comparison between the two. The RX is an older, noisier, less luxurious ride than the Highlander and, interestingly, very few people realize that. That may change in 2010 with the new RXh. This Highlander really excels in many areas. Mileage around town has been 26.5 mpg-better than we read here. It is very quiet and the intelligence of the interior layout is impressive. This is my wife's car and she's coming from a Lexus LS430 Ultra and she is more than satisfied.

Smart Key is very impressive. Locking and unlocking are easy and quick as is the start up of the car. The key hasn't left my or my wife's pocket yet. The visual displays are informative and easy to understand. Sound quality on the JBL is better than expected. The quietness of the cabin is very good.

Any more luxury features would compete too directly with Lexus. If you put your foot into it with ECON off, this machine goes... a little more horses, however, wouldn't hurt my feelings. Cars generally disappoint me but this is an impressive vehicle thus far.

Green SUV of the future
By SUV_PRO

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm an extremely experience & picky SUV driver, I've spent over 2 months test driving several SUVs in the market which includes BMW X5, BMW X6, Land Rover LR3, Mercedes M-Class, and Porsche Cayenne. Yes, they are nice and fast, but nothing blow me away like Highlander Hybrid, it amazed me by its unconventional and futuristic technology with Synergy drive, VDIM, and CVT. European/American SUVs in the market attract the buyer by putting a bigger engine, bigger disk brakes to achieve better speed and cornering, but none of them put as much work as Toyota on engineering such clean and environmentally friendly vehicle. I am getting 29 MPG with my Highlander Hybrid in mix city/highway.

Highlander Hybrid's interior is about 1/3 less noise than BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne. The second generation Synergy drive is really a technological marvel, it's so refined. VDIM definitely beats BMW's DSC; I've seen several videos on the web, it outperforms BMW X5 when racing on wet/ice surface.

The mechanical part of this vehicle is extremely competent. The exterior design is muscular, but not as attractive or sporty as some of the Europeans. But it has great futuristic looks which I really love. The interior gives very airy feeling for both passengers and drivers which is a big plus.

We love our Highlander Hybrid
By nihonkara

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were moving back to the US from Japan and wanted a Hybrid SUV. We are planning on a larger family than we have right now and needed the space. Also, since the gas prices had been going sky-high, we felt we needed the hybrid. We also did some simple math computation and realized that getting the hybrid for about $4K more that the non-hybrid, we could save about $3K in gas per year. (It pays for itself in 2 years!) Haven't had ANY trouble, it is perfect.

Hybrid system, back-up camera, and it is very quiet. Averaging about 25 MPG highway and city combined.

Fog lights standard and possibly sunroof. We love our Hybrid.