Used 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Improvements and towing
By Gene

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I tried to find a backup camera with no results, If toyota would retrofit the 2007 for a reasonable cost it would be great. They need to do something about the noise when you open the rear windows, the vehicle make a noise that is extremely hard on the ears.

I like the GPS but I want a backup camera to work with it and better updates. It was out of date the day I got it.

As for towing, I towed a 5X8 Uhaul about 2000 miles and averaged 17.5 MPG going up and down hills with no loss of power from West to east on I40, pretty good I think.

Defective Battery and Charging System
By John Nelson

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In December, 2009, I entered the vehicle one morning and it would not start, the battery was dead. I called Auto Club, and they jump started the vehicle. 4 months later, the same thing happened, and I attempted to jump start it myself, having purchased a set of cables in the interim. I was unsuccessful, and called for a tow. The vehicle could not be jump started, and was towed to a Toyota dealer. I had purchased an extended warranty, and asked that any repairs be covered under it. I was told that I had damaged a special fuse, and my actions had rendered the warranty invalid. The battery system is defective. Several other reviews describe the same problem.

When the vehicle starts, it is fun to drive, comfortable, and spacious.

Clearly, something is wrong with the automotive, not the hybrid battery. This was the first year of this 4 wheel drive system driven by a second or third electric motor, and all the kinks have not been worked out, at least at the time this vehicle was produced.

Women should be aware of reliability
By Susan S

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The battery in this car is not sufficient. The battery dies after being left for 5+ days. Always have to get a jump when left at the airport (dark at night in the parking lot). Battery died in an under ground parking lot when I got in, turned int.lights on and tried to put my next destination into the GPS.Did not have enough juice to turn over the engine. Last time I was in the pouring rain at a track meet and within 5 minutes having the radio going and the heater on, the car just powered down. Left stranded again. I am now scarred to drive this car as being stranded is always in the back of my mind. I have to park with the front facing out on trips,beg shuttle guy to give boost when let out

Peppy and stable in snow especially with studs. Do not use 3rd row as the kids complain about it being too small. When I called service about the battery they told me that is how the car is made. I am telling you, for safety reasons, stay away from this car!!!

Let customers know the problem when leaving this car for an extended period. Should be a gauge to indicate life of the battery before it powers down the car.

towing my boat
By zig

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

towed my 17ft Boston whaler 350 miles and got an impressive 20mpg considering i used to get about 12mpg with my truck-the highlander towed the boat with no problems at all plus a lot more comfortable

acceleration-comfort-fun to drive

back-up camera

Good, Some Improvements Required
By rico_

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall a good car with good Toyota quality. The biggest complaint is the battery in the gas engine dies if a door is left slightly ajar or a light is left on - once that battery is dead the car will not start, despite being full of batteries! (ppl laugh when I say the battery died on my hybrid!) We bought a portable jump start kit and it works great. Otherwise a good vehicle. Price is a bit high. Mileage is good but not great - when gasoline prices spiked I felt smart but the added cost is hard to justify, although it is an improvement for the environment (over a regular SUV). Would recommend this car.

Good to drive, well built, gas/electric engine switches seamlessly, car has good acceleration to pass on the highway, seats fold down well for carrying cargo. 3rd seat is good in a pinch but otherwise not very practical. Auto heated mirrors work well.

Better battery life for gas engine, higher end appearance and interior, more comfortable seats, eliminate wind noise with back windows open, lower price, better mileage, rear heating/cooling vents, back up camera.