2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Good all purpose green SUV

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

Good all purpose green SUV
By Rose on

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Hybrid Highlander when it had 10000 miles on it. I am a little disappointed with the gas mileage - 25-27 mpg. regardless of city or highway driving. Certainly that is better than the 17 mpg the previous minivan got, but I was expecting mid-30s. The blind spots are bigger for a shortie like me than I would expect from such an otherwise well-designed car. I drove a 2008 model though and that one is too big and the blind spots are worse- couldn't even see approaching cars at intersections due to the huge side mirrors. Also, this vehicle is very safe. I was rear ended by a drunk driver while I was stopped. The Highlander sustained rear end damage but my passenger and I were absolutely unhurt. We could feel my car absorb that huge impact.

Love the silent start, smooth ride, zippy acceleration, good cargo space, fun to drive and green (sort of).

Factory GPS is interesting but a pain - have to pull over and park to change a destination even if passenger is working the GPS. Update disks cost $250! Would never order a factory GPS. Front cup holder dividers fall apart immediately. Seats are a little hard.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review