2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Early adopter

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Early adopter
By billwtx22 on

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the 2nd Hybrid Highlander available in the Houston area. Overall, I have enjoyed owning this car. It is fun to drive. The hybrid system acts like a turbo when I want to stomp on it, but gas mileage goes down to low 20s MPG. When I work at it, I can get low to mid 30s MPG. My hybrid inverter went out recently, but this has a long warranty (8 yr, 100K mi). However, the car had to be towed into the shop. The new HH has an electric vehicle mode that allows short distance driving on battery only, but I doubt if this works without the inverter. I test drove a 2008 model and it is more sluggish due to the added size/weight. I would buy the 2006 model again.

0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. This pretty good for an SUV. Great mileage in bumper to bumper traffic which is the opposite of non-hybrid cars.

A plug in version would be nice. There are after market kits for Prius, but I have not heard of anyone doing this with the highlander, yet. Also, not sure if Toyota would void the warranty if the hybrid system was modified.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review