Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 189 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

A technological marvel
By martin

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for a year now. It is an amazing SUV. The gas mileage is simply superb and is within the EPA figures. I am getting an average of 28.0 MPG - a great relief from my Expedition. I love everything about this car.

I love the quiet smooth ride. It is even quieter than my wife's Lexus!

The third row seats are really a disappointment. It's only good for small children!

Fun and strong SUV
By pat

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had the Highlander Hybrid since January and love it. While we all would like better mileage, especially at $2.50/gal., we are happy what with this vehicle delivers. If you pay attention, you can get over 32 mpg even on the highway. We typically get 29+ in the city during the summer. So far this winter I believe we are down to 26-27 avg. It's been cold. We are looking forward to many years of fun and transportation with this vehicle.

We enjoy the feel and manageablity this vehicle gives us. We do like the heated seats in the winter.

Back-up camera, Bluetooth, MP3 docking port, more educated nav system. I believe this may be the weakest link in the electronics in a vehicle of this caliber. It is not the most user friendly. It can't find long time streets or roads consistently.

First 12000 miles
By Phil Wakeling

I traded a 1999 Subaru Impreza on the Highlander and get better mileage than the little 4 cylinder. Four cylinder economy and V8 power - great combination. My overall average fuel consumption for 10 months of mixed driving (mostly in Michigan) is 26 mpg. Best was 28 mpg for local driving - no freeways - and the worst was 23 mpg on 10% methanol in Iowa on I80 at 80 mph. This is a fun an comfortable car to drive - not as quiet as my wife's Avalon, but close. It is stable in the snow at freeway speeds and climbs snowy slopes with ease. I have driven in beach sand with no problems. The high torque at low speed works well in these circumstances, almost like a low range on a conventional 4wd.

Continuous transmission, fuel economy, acceleration and driving comfort.

Auto wipers, an MP3 player/connection and Bluetooth.

Two thumbs up
By jay k.

I just can't say enough about this vehicle. The ride is comfortable, the gas consumption is low for the size of the vehicle and the amenities abound in the Limited version.

The navigation package with the on screen control of the map, audio system and climate control is wonderful

The power moon roof needs a one touch close system as it is hard to find the closed position, there ought to be a power outlet in the back seat for the kids gameboys and a standard 110 outlet should be included in the vehicle. The middle console size should be increased a bit for more CDs.

Over paid for hybrid
By steve smith

Should have kept my RX 330. We thought the mileage was going to be so much better but the joke was on us for paying $4500 more for the hybrid. If you drive the suv in the city for 100,000 miles you might make up the difference. Plus we did not get our tax credit because we leased. The value is going down because gas has leveled off. Can not wait till the lease is up.

Ride, comfort, acceleration.

Memory seats, power tailgate, option for stereo upgrade, lighter hood so you do not need a rod to hold it open.