Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 189 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Great Vehicle
By rav171

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Highlander has over 33000 miles. To get the best mileage, the driver should make maximum use of the cruse control. That allows the computer to control the engine torque and continuous variable transmission (CVT). That way, the computer maximizes the gas efficiency while maintaining the speed that is set. I get 32 MPG driving 60 MPH on up and down highway roads in upstate New York. I couldn't be happier with the mileage.

I would love to be able to remove the third row seat since we are retired and won't be adding any kids in the third row. Better yet, replace the third row seat with additional batteries and allow me to plug in and charge when the car is in the garage.

Unexpected power in for a Green SUV
By Steve R

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My ONLY complaint is headroom for tall adults in the back and passenger seats. I am used to a truck with greater headroom. I have friends over 6'4 who found the more elevated passenger seat and back seat head clearence a little cramped. I often pulse and cruise - get 29-30mpg around town. It has better pickup than our accord and is quality wise the very best vehicle we have owned. Given, the Tundra WAS Alot more fun off road. I recommend vehicle. Oh one other minor flaw, sunroof and window noise is a problem when openned and you have to adjust them when exceeding 30 mph to stop a annoying wind vibration. Again minor when all the advantages of this vehicle are considered.

The power from start, the handling and the great gas mileage make this great for around town the roomy back makes it great for camping.

even more passenger headroom, balance open sunroof vibration from windows somehow. This is a technological marvel in most respects and an amazing vehicle, I have to nitpick to really come up with suggestions.

Good Family Car
By swaeri

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Highlander is a good family car without having to drive a mini van. 3rd row seat comes in handy with young children. I prefer this body style to the new one. I bought the hybrid hoping for decent gas mileage. I have been very disappointed in this regard. I might get 20 mpg on a good week. It does have a lot of power. No mechanical issues to date. I would recommend the car if you like the styling. The JBL sound system isn't that great. I would get an after market stereo.

Exterior styling and third row seat

Toyota's interior designs are very weak. The gas mileage stinks for the hybrid. A friend got a non-hybrid Honda Pilot that gets as good as mine. The cup holder design in between the front seats is bad and has broken. Pressure with only rear windows down is unbearable. Needs an iPod hook up.

Powewrful, gas sipping midsize SUV
By gary

My wife commutes to work in it daily and aveages 35 MPG per tank in combines city/hwy use. Plenty of room to pack all of out sailing gear fro a weekend, or even week long cruise on our boat. Very comfortable for extended trips of six to eight hours or so driving. We love it.

Hybrid drive train + great MPG

Restyle exterior, (but then they just did that didn't they?)

Going Green Is So Much Fun!
By dvs8866

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only had my hybrid for a week, so maybe it's a little early to write a review, but I couldn't wait another week. I've test driven several and was pleasantly surprised that they do have more giddy-up than I originally thought. This car beats my Jeep Liberty by miles in every aspect. There's more room for my two boys to spread out, the gas mileage is almost double (I'm in sales and this was the main reason for my turning green), the third row seat is a bonus for baseball season, and it's just a head turner.

I can't help but smile when the engine turns off and my friends think it's stalled. I've actually taken pictures of the MPG on the odometer and text messaged it to friends! More than enough cupholders for everyone. Tons of storage areas. Smoothest ride I've ever been in.

Picky, but the armrests are a little low for my taste. I wish the satellite radio had been integrated into the sound system. I'm getting aftermarket Sirius installed and there's really no good place to put it on the dash.