Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Great Toy
By Kurt

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV, fun to drive, goes anywhere. I call it a 2 passenger gas hog though. My only complaint is the back seat, it is to small for a lot of adults, not easy to get in and out of. The flip side is I will never see a soccer mom with car seats in the back driving one. I take it off road whenever I get the chance. I have only had it high centered once but it blasted its way out eventually. Could use serious tires for off-roading. It rides like a car with the factory tires. I added lambskin seat covers from Costco and they are great over the stiff factory seats. If you like fun and don't care about hauling many people get one. I have all the performance extras and get 15-16 MPG.

Performance, pull off the shoulder of a highway and then back on. Keep it floored to about 80, it is scary (find an empty highway). I have the performance exhaust and cold air intake. It likes Premium but runs fine w/o it.

Little larger cargo area. Button inside to release back window. Lid on the console instead of open hole.

In Need of Redesign
By Tom Bjelic

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Suv. After having owned Nissans and Jeeps I purchased the FJ for my wife to haul around kids, dogs and ski gear. It is a disaster of design. The interior is dark and visibility is terrible. I can get by these issues however, It's the worst SUV I've ever driven when it comes to performance in snow. We hit the slopes whenever it snows and this vehicle is brutal. Regardless of tires, it's not safe to drive. Coupled with it's nervous anti-lock brakes it's a dangerous vehicle to control in a blizzard. Our Xterra performed much better, with the Jeep being the best. The stain proof seats get dog hair caught in the open fibres and I have to use duct tape to clean it.

Great roof rack system with modular parts that are easy to adjust. Although the average sized woman will never be able to put a bike up there. It's very high and you can't use underground parking if you have any racks on it. Looks good... but it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Stop focusing on aesthetics and improve snow performance. Rear seat belts are very slow to recoil. Improve seat cloth so it doesn't trap lint or dog hair. In-ceiling speakers distort with any volume or bass. Redesign rear for better visibility. Doors trap you if trying to exit by parked car.

Love the FJ cruiser.
By Kal

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car after a lot of research. I am a big Toyota fan and this car has lived up to my expectation. Used to drive a RWD Mercedes Benz and just hated driving it in the winter in Iowa. But this car drives like a champ and is so comfortable. My boys (8 and 4) love the car and can sit comfortably in the rear seat. Blind spot is no big deal. if you drive well you get used to it just like anything else in life. Would not miss out on the other great features of the car because of that.

The drive the cool black color and the seats and of curse the comfortable space. Finally the reliability of Toyota. So far no car comes close to it.

Little more lighting in the interior. Nothing much it is a great car in my opinion.

love my FJ
By mel

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle for off road. The stock vehicle is poorly set up for serious use off road (plastic bumper imitation skid plates, etc.) There 98% of complaints end. The off road ability even with stock tires is unbelievable. I have changed rims, ties and added armor (skid plates, rock sliders and real bumpers). The performance and power need to be driven to be believed. The standard vehicle is small inside, it ain't a Suburban. There is limited storage space. The hood is high and forward visibility is limited. If you can't drive with mirrors this vehicle is not for you. FJ could use more sound deadening. Very noisy at high speed. it hauls and turns on a dime. I love it.

Unreal off road performance. Good looks. I have the sand color and it turns heads. Good stereo, good lighting, inside and out. Easy to clean out. The cabin filter leaves the inside immaculate no matter how dusty the trail. The three wipers perform better than any vehicle I have owned.

More sound damping. Bags or other means to stow groceries. The bag hangers are cool but you need five or so each side, not two total. Lose the imitation bling and put out a real off road model for the off road buyer. Plastic bumpers, brush guards are not ok for off road use. An off road model?

Recent purchase
By Eric

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased my FJ after my Jeep Wrangler 4 dr was totaled after hit head on. Was going to buy another Jeep until I test drove the FJ and read consumer feedback on this sight. Although I haven't put many miles on, the FJ has lived up to my expectations. Plenty of room for me and my 2 boys, age 9 and 13. The suicide doors aren't an issue much to my wife's reluctance. As far as the blind spot people complain about, if you know how to drive, use your mirrors, and have driven an SUV, there is no discussion! My only wish is that Toyota comes out with a rag top in this model. Plenty of power, more comfortable than the Jeep.

Soft top