Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

See it, Drive it , Buy it
By mnivens

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The retro look of the FJ and reliability of Toyota brought me to replace my 95 4RunnR. My wife, believe it or not, liked the styling as much as I and the fact it has a good safety rating and she sits high enough to see well. She has had hip problems, but the FJ is no problem for her to get in/out. We like the simplicity of the vehicle. The FJ is a different look, but since most vehicles look alike, the FJ is a step above in styling. We are both in our mid-fifties, but feel good in this. Power is excellent, visibility is OK, Blind spot mirrors solved this problem. We had a dealer installed running boards, passenger arm rest, and towing hitch. No, it is not a Lexus, but it fits us.

Styling, reliability, safety rating, simplicity. Seats are very comfortable and entire interior can be hosed out - to a point. Really like the suicide rear doors. Styling looks like a two door, but has two "extra" doors. Very secure in the back-no need for child locks.

More storage for "stuff", have the passenger arm rest as standard equipment.

Always wanted offroad
By Great Deal

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've wanted the FJ after the 1st one I saw. And after getting it, I love it. I do a lot of off roading and with a just few add-ons its ready to go. I don't have kids and don't think I would have gotten if I did. For me, the wife and a couple of dogs, its all I need. The interior is great for clean up. I got the all weather mats and it's just a spay down with the hose to clean. The big 4.0L V6 has the power I need off roading or blowing away the "on the phone soccer mom" on the road. It does go through the fuel and you may want to bring some extra on those long trips to the middle of nowhere. There is plenty of head room which has been a problem for me in the past.

I'm not driving a "me too" vehicle. There are very few on the road compared to most autos. The power, nice stereo and I can plug in my iPhone and have my music where ever I go.

I'm sure that Toyota can come up with a powerful engine that can get better mileage. If Ford and GM are building them, I expect lots more from Asia manufacturers.

Great SUV
By Riad Abi Chahla

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When i saw the FJ i immediately wanted to buy... I did some research and i found that it has everything i need. 1st the rugged stylish looks the durability the power and off road capabilities... after 3months of ownership I still find it more amazing everyday...

Off road capabilities, exterior design, interior functional design, engine power, and easy to clean flooring

Remove the seat belt beeper

Not for passengers
By Mike

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I think I need to buy extra medical coverage for my vehicle insurance. Everyone hits their heads when entering/exiting the back seat. The interior panels are below Chevy in build quality and fit. The front windshield wipers chatter, and do not lay flat in cold weather. The exterior paint has scratched very easily.

Sits high up.

Better paint, better rear passenger entry, better interior build quality.

Great SUV
By CalgaryMan

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I hated it first but then fell in love. Now absolutely love. Cannot wait to drive it every day. I have done a great amount of research before purchasing this vehicle. I wanted a Japanese made SUV on a frame for a reasonable price. I did not want to drive a soccer mom SUV. I left me with only one option. It is great on both highway and city. You get used to blind spots after couple days of driving. An extra inch of leg room at the back seat would be helpful. Hey, it is not a family SUV after all. Exhaust is a bit loud. I read that is was done on purpose. FJ has a different exhaust from that of a 4Runner. I would like it more quiet. Overall, you can either love of hate FJ. And I LOVE it.

Off road capabilities, smooth ride, solid built, the way it feels. EVERYTHING.

Back seat room, loud exhaust system. It is not that important after all.