Used 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews - 309 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Why drive boring cars?
By Joe in CT

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 20+ cars, SUV's, trucks. This has to be one of my 2 favorites (together with my 911 cabriolet). As another reviewer said - you can buy fancier, much more expensive SUV's. But you can't buy one that's more fun to own, that people ask you about, that is this reliable, that can go anywhere. I bought one of the first ones in CT - Voodoo Blue - and have not had a single issue. My wife, 3 kids, dog & I all still love it just as much as new. Sure - it has a few compromises like rear visibility. Show me any great car with real personality that doesn't. And this is very practical (easy to clean, acceptable MPG, great in bad weather...) and fun to own! Now that's value!

Style, engine power/drivetrain, ease of cleaning, utility

Would be great with a diesel engine - I'd trade it in tomorrow!

A blast to drive! But has its quirks.
By Murph

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went to a Used Car Dealership that sold mainly Dodges. I saw this cool looking truck and learned it was called the FJ Cruiser. I test drove it and fell in love with it immediately for it's looks and above average handling for an SUV ! However, the clutch "chirps" when at idle but stops when the clutch is depressed. I had the dealership replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. All was well until 2 months and 1400 miles later and the same problem arose again. I learned through Toyota forums that this is an issue with manual tranny FJ's but they still operate normally as they should. Despite this somewhat major annoyance, I love my FJ and don't regret buying it!

Unique styling, doesn't look like your neighbor's F150 or Jeep. Rubber floor mats (easy cleanups, yeah!) and easy to use heater, A/C controls. Handles quite well in sharp turns, surprising for a truck/SUV. Gutsy engine especially with the manual tranny=much driving fun!

Redesign the clutch so it doesn't chirp at idle while the clutch is released ! Otherwise, no complaints, worth a look if you want a fun to drive off roader/daily driver!

Old Faithful
By jdsiv

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My need for a good solid truck rules out many of the vehicles made today. I spend as much time as I can at a remote family cabin and exploring the outdoors and often am very far from any type of assistance. My vehicle needs to get me in and out, and this one always comes through. I put Goodyear MTR's on it and they are top notch. I have had this vehicle in rain, mud, sand, and lots of snow. It plows through everything without trouble. There may be more luxurious 4x4's out there, but I see lots of those stuck in snow banks while the Cruiser keeps on trucking. If you go off road at all, the front skid plate is not an option. While comfortable on the road, it can be tricky to drive at times.

Build quality, reliability, and its off road ability and dependability. It's nice to know there isn't much that this truck can't get over or through. Being waved through inspection stations during blizzards and not having to stop is nice. Getting to places at the cabin other vehicles cant go is nice.

Put the Nav system in it. Get rid of the stupid plastic bumpers. Make a Lexus version. Although the interior material and design works great for a truck that actually gets used in the dirt, mud and snow, it might be nice to have a bit more luxury. I would probably trade mine in for a Lexus Version.

Great vehicle...Love it
By Nick

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, so far I am impressed with my purchase. I purchased the FJ about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it is running great. The fuel economy isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. I've been getting about 20.5 on the highway and 18 in the city. Which to me isn't too bad, in my 99 S10 truck I received 20/16. I don't have the 4WD, didn't need it. I like the FJ because of its look and comfort. Yes, it is hard to get in the back, but I'm not driving other people around all of the time. So far, great experience and I love the FJ!

I like the back up sensor, the head room is awesome, and the overall look of the car is cool.

Obviously the view. I put on the add-on mirror things and it has helped. I personally don't use the mirrors that often because I always look over my shoulder.

My TRD..
By Rick Respicio

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe you’re wondering why such an odd- looking SUV became my next toy after driving a 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Rather than choosing another luxury SUV, I went for something different – the total opposite! A bare bones waterproofed scuba suit-covered seating, Rubbermaid flooring w/ all-weather cargo mats & an interior w/ a harmonious blend of nylon, plastic, rubber & metal. Only 3,200 TRD units were made & I was fortunate enough to have #100. I was always fond of the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) team since childhood & this was one way of driving one of their latest creations, just wished I could do it at the Baja but nevertheless, it is fun to drive anywhere.

The all-black treatment & added TRD features that make it stand out from the rest of the pack. Music coming from the ceiling since it is one of the first production cars using flat- panel speakers. Don’t expect comfort since it is built like a truck, hence, the stiff & sporty ride. Take it anywhere!

Toyota's TRD did a lot w/ the aesthetics but I would like to see a sunroof & a better audio system w/ navi & better mileage too! Take note Toyota! ;)