Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Excellent Economical Car
By Sharyn

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is wonderful! It gets between 38-40 mpg, a little less when I run the AC, and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. It's comfortable for two people, although the back seat is pretty small. I like the fact that my gauges are in the middle of the dash. It makes it a lot easier to not take your eyes off the road. I have to take it into the dealership because apparently, the bottoms of the ECHOs are rusting and they have to fix that, but no problems here as it's covered since it's part of a recall. It has its little flaws, but nothing any other car doesn't have! Overall, great buy. I am 100% satisfied.

The storage nooks, gas mileage, warranty, overall interior look, big trunk, overall handling, 6 CD changer that came with it, it's pretty quiet even on the highway, acceleration is great for a V4!

Exterior design could use some work, add a clock!, the gear shift moves too easily, windshield wipers need more speed options, make back seats fold down to allow more transport space, the sound system could be a little better

Reliable car for your money
By Jenny

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After getting into an accident with my Kia Sephia, I needed a car bad. I decided on a Toyota Echo and have never felt a shred of buyer's remorse. This little car is quite deceiving with its roominess and and overall handling. Under the hood looks just as nice -- everything labled and easy to reach. I highly recommend this as a first car or one to replace a gas-guzzler!

Center console, roomy interior, gas mileage, storage within interior (there's a nifty tray under the passenger seat for maps or snacks), quality Toyota parts.

Fold-down backseats, better handling in windy weather... maybe add a CD player.

LuvIt
By tiki

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical of how small this car looked until I got inside and test drove it. It is much more spacious than it looks. Gas mileage is great! I fill up about once a week for about $20. I got used to the odometer in the center dash. It's easier to keep your eye on it and on the road at the same time. I hope to keep this car for a long time. It even drives well in the snow. It's a great first new car!

Gas mileage, easy handling, sits up higher than most small cars, low maintenance, decent stereo, cheap price for a brand new car, lots of storage space, and easy to park in tight places.

Better if it had cruise control, windshield wiper delays, and the backseat space is a little tight.

Super Awesome 1st Car
By NateDog

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Recieved as my first vehicle for my 16th birthday, and it has been incredible. Amazing gas mileage, comfortable for long or short drives, spunky acceleration, and cruises like a champion. Can't say anything bad about this car, it is a dream. Drove it all the way to Louisiana from California, 75 the whole way, and it returned 40-42 miles to the gallon! Carried all my junk too, completely packed down with stuff. Buy this car if you are in need of an economical vehicle!!!

Looks (bold from the front at least), handling (I have the 15 inch rims), MPG, tons of space to pack stuff, big trunk, comfortable front seats.

No cruise control, gets pushed by high winds, no power when it comes to steep grades, and needs some better aerodynamics. Back seats feel lumpy at times. But these are all VERY minor complaints.

Great lil Echo
By Barb Cloin

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most reliable, economical and fun cars that I have ever owned and I am 55 years old and have owned everything from Cadillacs, Chryslers to Ford falcons and Honda Civics. The Echo out does them all in one way or another, more economical than the Cadillac, more dependable than the Ford and more fun than the Honda. Why in the world would toyota quit making them? Especially now with gas prices soaring.. STOP, Reconsider these are affordable fun vehicles for those of us who NEED dependable affordable transportation and like to drive.

Placement of the instrument panel, really really like it.. Love the mileage of this great handling lil car.