Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Not bad, but not for tall folks
By jazbees

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2006. Not a bad little car, but it didn't have quite the leg room that this driver needed. Started having muscle/joint aches in my right leg after commuting with it for a while. Switched back to our other car (a '96 Geo Prizm) and the pain disappeared.

Aside from that, it was okay.
The odd placement of the gauges (a little to the right of the steering wheel) took some getting used to. Very peppy, excellent fuel economy.
No major issues that I can recall.

Its trunk crumpled quite well when we got rear-ended by a Dodge Ram in early '11, which protected our daughter in the back seat.
It did its job, and is now resting peacefully in a junk lot.

Excellent fuel economy, great get-up-and-go. Roomy trunk considering the car's small size.

Ours didn't come with power steering, which drove us a little nuts at times. I don't recommend getting any car without it, but it's especially troublesome with this one.

281k and still going
By Doug

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007 with 213k miles, driven daily since and now at 281k miles. Doesn't use oil, needed few repairs, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough to take on a trip.

Mileage, room for the size, comfort, decent power, reliability.

An armrest would be nice

Best toyota
By rolo

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My echo is the best car I have ever owned. Never stops running, no repairs whatsoever. Have only replaced brakes, front only, and oil changes. Have replaced spark plugs and air filter, thats it. Runs like a champ. No Wonder they stopped making them. They could had become the VW beetle of the 2000s

fuel eco

more colors

Indestructible
By ddmyers

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Best little economy car on Earth ! She's 7 years old now, and not a single problem or repair, with the exception of the "rusty floorboard recall" of several years ago. Just routine maintenance. You could drive this car into a volcano, and it would still run. Fairly comfortable to drive on long trips. The interior has held up well - - - - the seats still look like new! And I actually like the center-mounted gauges; steering wheel and hands don't obstruct their viewing. Not affected by the recent Toyota recalls. The only thing that I can complain about is that I wish she had a little more power.

Gas mileage, quirky looks, fits in the garage with room to spare, unbelievably reliable. And has better headroom than its Yaris replacement.

none

It will run forever
By car nut

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this used in 2005 with 38,000 on it. Had to replaced the windshield in 2006 ( a rock got it) one rear wheel bearing, and two sets of tires. Other than oil changes, and a set of brake pads, it has never failed us. We live in the Midwest and travel a lot to see our family. It's fantastic on gas ( 41 mpg on the flats going to California on one trip.) I'm kind of a big guy, 6'3", and about 260 lbs. and I find the car fairly comfortable. I would buy another one with no worries. Too bad the echo is not made any more.

Gas mileage. Dependability.