Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

I Love my Echo at the Gas Pumps
By Dawn

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my ECHO. I get close to 50 mpg. With the prices of gas today, it only takes $20.00 to fill her up. It's a fun car to drive and is very reliable. I am sad that Toyota is not making Echo's any longer for the US. I actually got a letter from the Dealer wanting to buy this car back. I hope to have this car for many years.

Best car on gas and reliability. Great little car. Great driving in the snow

The only downfall is the car must be driven at 55-60 miles per hour when there is heavy winds.

echo
By frank

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have used for trips and around town. Gets 43 MPG at 75 mph. Wish they still made them. (Stick shift)

Interior room and storage. Amazing trunk

We Love Our Echo
By Newt

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had nothing but good luck with our Echo. We get an average of 38 miles to the gallon and we have kept track of it since we bought the car. It is great! It fits my 6'5" father in the back seat no problem and let me tell you there are few cars that can do that. You feel like you are attached to the road which is something my husband and I really like. It has great turning radius! It is just plain cute! We live in a very snowy state and it hasn't had any more trouble than other cars. We feel like we are doing our part to reduce gas use. I wish more people would do that because we do have a hard time finding our car in the parking lot with all the huge cars surrounding it.

Parallel Parking is so easy with this car. We can fit it anywhere and it doesn't feel cramped inside. It can fit a ton of stuff in it.

The only problem we have had is that our town is very hilly and it could have a slightly bigger engin to get us up the hills. But if that is the trade off we get for having good fuel economy we are happy with is. It isn't a big deal though! We have plenty of get up and go for most things.

Got Game
By BIG D

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

No doubt about the Echo, it's GOT GAME !! The car has guts, its a lot of fun to drive in the city, easy on the pocket book, and comfortable for a 6'3'' soccer coach. I strongly recommend this car its solid, safe, and sexy. Ok forget the sexy... but you won't regret the decision.

The car is reliable, roomy, and fun to drive.

More room in the back seat, ok if you're under the age of 12

Not just a commuter car
By Joan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 3+ years, I still love this car: spacious compared with any other small car, miserly gas mileage, no operating problems, great pick-up, nimble handling, can be parallel parked with 1" to spare at each end (honest!), instruments in plain sight (not hiding behind the steering wheel). Until this summer I'd never driven it farther than 200 miles from home: wasn't sure how its oomph would handle steep grades on I-70 thru Colorado's Front Range and how its light weight would handle high winds on the Great Plains. Mtns: had to opt for the slow lane a few times after losing momentum to pokey vehicles ahead, else OK to good. Plains and Prairies: TOO good! (speeding ticket in Iowa)

Storage good enough to preserve what mattered when a thief broke in--never found where the good stuff was. (Left a dictionary, registration, and insurance cards; took a dead flashlight, a political biography, and wiper fluid.) Peppy transmission. Center-mounted instrument cluster.

Tighten the assembly: door lock knobs rattle, truck latch needed minor repositioning. Add intermittent wipers. (What is it with Toyota's stinginess with wiper settings? Surely Japan gets drizzle too!)