Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

We Love Our Echo
By Newt

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have had nothing but good luck with our Echo. We get an average of 38 miles to the gallon and we have kept track of it since we bought the car. It is great! It fits my 6'5" father in the back seat no problem and let me tell you there are few cars that can do that. You feel like you are attached to the road which is something my husband and I really like. It has great turning radius! It is just plain cute! We live in a very snowy state and it hasn't had any more trouble than other cars. We feel like we are doing our part to reduce gas use. I wish more people would do that because we do have a hard time finding our car in the parking lot with all the huge cars surrounding it.

Parallel Parking is so easy with this car. We can fit it anywhere and it doesn't feel cramped inside. It can fit a ton of stuff in it.

The only problem we have had is that our town is very hilly and it could have a slightly bigger engin to get us up the hills. But if that is the trade off we get for having good fuel economy we are happy with is. It isn't a big deal though! We have plenty of get up and go for most things.

Got Game
By BIG D

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

No doubt about the Echo, it's GOT GAME !! The car has guts, its a lot of fun to drive in the city, easy on the pocket book, and comfortable for a 6'3'' soccer coach. I strongly recommend this car its solid, safe, and sexy. Ok forget the sexy... but you won't regret the decision.

The car is reliable, roomy, and fun to drive.

More room in the back seat, ok if you're under the age of 12

Not just a commuter car
By Joan

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 3+ years, I still love this car: spacious compared with any other small car, miserly gas mileage, no operating problems, great pick-up, nimble handling, can be parallel parked with 1" to spare at each end (honest!), instruments in plain sight (not hiding behind the steering wheel). Until this summer I'd never driven it farther than 200 miles from home: wasn't sure how its oomph would handle steep grades on I-70 thru Colorado's Front Range and how its light weight would handle high winds on the Great Plains. Mtns: had to opt for the slow lane a few times after losing momentum to pokey vehicles ahead, else OK to good. Plains and Prairies: TOO good! (speeding ticket in Iowa)

Storage good enough to preserve what mattered when a thief broke in--never found where the good stuff was. (Left a dictionary, registration, and insurance cards; took a dead flashlight, a political biography, and wiper fluid.) Peppy transmission. Center-mounted instrument cluster.

Tighten the assembly: door lock knobs rattle, truck latch needed minor repositioning. Add intermittent wipers. (What is it with Toyota's stinginess with wiper settings? Surely Japan gets drizzle too!)

This is KISS car
By ARY

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The less features the less failures, keep it simple. My manual Echo does 41 mpg and accelerates faster than almost any V6. I carry 8 scuba tanks and two huge gearboxes in it. I can park two Echos on one car spot. Now it is over 90K and i never experienced any problems. Front wheel drive is safe and lightweight body can be easily pulled from mud if you occasionally adventured into dirtroad driving. It is certainly the best buy for $13K i spent on it.

Excellent reliability, acceleration, access of instruments, road visibility, precise speed control, foldable rear bench seat. Over 400 miles range at 38- 40 mpg.

standard ABS

Love the Echo!
By Echo in Maine

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Echo new in '02. I've had NO problems or repairs since I bought the car. My friends and family (all SUV owners) snickered when I originally bought the car. I'm the one laughing now with the gas mileage I get and with gas prices climbing to what they are. A great value in this car!

Large trunk, back seats that fold down, roomy interior.