Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Esther Echo
By Renata

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased our Echo in 2014 and is a 2002... 2 door model.....
If your ok with a basic model that this is the car for you....it would be a great car to start you teenage driver on given the no frills model and the great reliability of the Toyota product.
Great manueverability in town (parks great) ...
I get 40 mpg on the hiway and have gone 400 plus miles on a tank of gas....Saaweeeeeet!
I wish they would have included intermittent wipers on the instrument package though and the AC is great for the hot days but climbing grades it is better to shut it off for better engine performance given the 1.5 liter size of the motor. Overall, we are happy with our little Esther the Echo.

Little Red Gecko the Echo!
By Dan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My mom had this car for three years. She bought it in 2012, and i got it in december of 2015. Its a tough little car. I do wish it had some of the basic features found on other cars, like power windows. And i wish the seats were more comfortable. However, for a reliable first car i cant complain!

I Love My Car!
By sxylump

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Echo since 2004 and I absolutely love it! It is zippy and gets wonderful gas mileage. It runs great and is a trooper in the snow (and We get a lot of snow where I live too). I recently took it to the local Toyota dealer for inspection and they said everything is still in great shape. I know when it comes time to buy a new car, it will be a sad day for me to part with my Echo.

Gone but not forgotten
By pprodshd

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an epitaph as our "toy car" was recently totaled while parked on the street. At 93K miles, we had done oil changes and a $150 brake job. We enjoyed 2+ years with no payment or service needs. Was a great city car and always an adventure going 70 mph with a cross wind. It had 100% more charisma than any other sub compact from then or now. She will be missed. Probably moving into a civic. BORING

reliability, cost of ownership, fantastically bizarre styling and center dials. So strange.

Really hard to pick up chicks in. Status symbol, wrong status.

Light as a feather and a lifesaver
By Ethan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

"Wow it's zippy!" were my first words when I first drove this car. The acceleration is very responsive, the small engine was more than enough for this featherweight (just beware strong wind and rain), and it got better mileage than most hybrids. It's certainly stylish, and although the interior is lackluster, the high instrument panel to the right of the driver allowed for better eye contact with the road. For eight years, with regular oil changes and diagnostics, I never had a single problem with the car until I drove the car into another. The front crumpled, saving my life, but it crumpled far too easily and the car was totaled while the other car barely got a scratch.

Amazing mileage, great overall quality, good in a crash, roomy interior (I'm 6'3" and was extremely comfortable), and not to mention enough capacious compartments and trunk space for anything you'll need to take with you.

While its light weight allowed for great mileage and acceleration, it was easily pushed around in a storm. One minor accident totaled the car while the other car merely got a scratch. Its lightweight construction was easily dented and cracked.