Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

2nd best car I ever owned
By granny

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was employed with the Department of Childrens Services and had to drive a lot of miles. This car has never let me down and has never even had to have another battery.

Gas mileage and dependability. Handling and ease of driving on any terrain.

Comfort of seats.

Zippy and reliable
By Bladw

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Roomy as can be. You have to see how much interior room there really is. 40-46 MPG all the time. No A/C from the factory is bad, but is tolerable while driving. $1300 to install air is too expensive after the fact. Top reliable car rating. Lower the rear 1" and add a strut tower brace and the handling improves dramatically. Parts might be expensive because it's an import, but this car will probably never need any. No service needed until 250,000 miles for the timing chain replacement! Outstanding. If it had A/C i would enjoy it better. These cars are hard to find because everyone keeps theirs. 40+ MPG is addictive .

Cubby cargo spots inside everywhere is very cool. Smooth running engine. Reliable!

Advertise more for these cars!

Stylish economy car
By People's car

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was lucky enough to find a used coupe with a five speed, I was reluctant about that, but I love it and no power anything, less to break. This is as close to a poor man's sports car as you can get and given the prohibitive price of cars, and its excellent mpg it's a gem and a lot of fun to drive. Also unconventional looking with a hi-tech interior design and an amazing amount of space inside. I've added a sunroof and cruise control so I have a poor mans convertible and an additional comfort feature. Parked next to a conventional sedan, let's say a Camry, I'm amazed at how big the Echo looks. Its a shame this car didn't make it, Corollas don't come in two doors and they are so boring looking.

Unusual design, fuel economy, trumps luxury cars, less wasteful and expensive.

Wish it wasn't so "tinny" and that it had larger wheels, at least 15 inch tires for a better highway experience. It's unfortunately true, that no matter how good Echo is, it will beat you up on long highway trips.

ECHO Lover indeed
By Corey

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I currently have 149,000 miles on a 2001 model. With good tire pressure management, a clean and waxed car, and careful driving, I consistently am averaging > 47.0 mpg week in and week out during warmer weather. I'm waiting for the Endo. I know Toyota will not compromise like smart did, requiring premium fuel and only publishing 40+ mpg from a 1,600 lb car. Come on Toyota! Bring me the Endo now!

The engine. Long stroke, great torque for a 4 cyl.

Ditch the 14" rubber. I can never keep them in balance for more than 10k at a time.

Best Small Car Ever
By Viki Benton

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had always preferred large vehicles but took a chance on a small, economical commuter vehicle. It looked so ugly at first but upon getting in it, you find that it is large inside and really comfortable! And quality for an inexpensive car. I have had mine 5 years and I love it more than any other car I have ever had; it's just the best car ever. I will drive it til it drives no more! A GREAT CAR! And it is actually a very good looking little car!! Wait till you get inside one and drive it. Exterior holds up well too.

Looks, gas mileage, reliability, large open interior w/ better quality interior and size can't be beat. The skirt and back tail and color.

None.