Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Ugly Duckling
By BB

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I knew that Echo's twin, the Vitz, was a very popular car in Japan, so I decided to buy an 01 Echo over the Prius in 2000. The Prius carried a hefty premium at the time. I loaded mine up with options and it was still a bargain. I've loved the Echo ever since. Its a very simple yet smartly designed & built car. Some say its not the best looking car, but, its value and economy make up for its appearance. My family depends on it daily as our primary car. It has not let us down.

High mileage and low maintenance cost. Very fun to drive car handles well in the city or on the highway. Excellent interior features: IMO placement of the speedometer should be an industry standard, lots of pockets to store things and ample room for us. A cabin air filter can be installed:)

A/C is a bit weak with all of the window space. PW controls are in a bad spot. Larger storage cubbies could use nets to prevent articles from falling out. Its a bit weak with a full load of passengers. Paint and body panels are much too easy to ding and scratch. Ext. plastic bleaches out. Road noise.

Ugly but practical, and economical
By autooracle

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Uglier than a Pontiac Aztec. But reliable, economical and fun to drive. The best use of space from any manufacturer of any small car.

Multiple cup holders. Large windshield wipers.

You did it... the Yaris

I love this car.
By Scott

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the best car I owned hands down. 190,000 miles and still zipping along. I'm very tall and this car has better leg and head room than most any other car I've sat in. Fun to drive and great mileage (38-40 hwy). No work done other than tires and oil changes. Still have original battery and did not need brakes until 150,000 miles. I plan on getting 300,000 out of this and I'll try to find another one for my next car. Stereo system is awsome too.

Interior and trunk room, mileage, reliability, etc.

For some stupid reason they quit making this. Make it again.

Dangerous car!!!
By concernedmom

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was like everyone else, I loved this car at first. The gas mileage was great (38mi./gal), but the day I wrecked it changed my mind. If anyone else had been in the car with me, they would've died!! It folded like an aluminum can!!! Please reconsider this car and buy something safer. I didn't have side airbags, but there was dual front airbags. I hit a deer and then hit the passenger side against a tree. The airbags did not deploy and I received a concussion from the passenger door. The whole car folded in half and I was only driving 45mi/hr.!! If you have family, please don't buy this. Their lives will be at risk. Be safe and choose a better car, any passengers with me would've been killed.

gas mileage

Safer design, this car is dangerous!!

This car just won't quit
By ECHOdriver

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Echo, as a new car, 6 years ago. I drive 80 miles to work, 160 round trip, 6 days a week. 50,000 per year. I have logged 300,000 miles on this car. Fuel mileage is awesome. 43 in the summer, 40 in the spring and fall, 38 in the winter when it's below zero. Very few repairs. Rear shocks and O2 sensor at 100,000 miles. Front brake pads at 220,000 miles. Left front wheel bearing at 260,000 miles. These are the only repairs I've had. Still has original struts, rear brakes, etc. I am comfortable in this car. The driver's seat is worn out, but still, 3 hours a day in my Echo and I can honestly say the car is comfortable. This car still drives great. No squeaks or rattles.

Good head room and visibility. When I bought this car gas was $1.30. My friends looked at me funny for driving such a little car. When gas hit $2, my friends thought I was smart. When gas hit $3 I started looking at my friends funny.

Tire wear is an issue. I can't get more than 40,000 miles on a set of tires regardless of brand or tread wear rating. I bought a lifetime wheel alignment plan in 2001. The alignment shop says the everything checks out ok, but tires don't wear well. I wish this car was E85 Flex fuel compatible.