Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great for me
By donwayne

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in Feb. 2001 with the sticker telling me that my MPG would be 38/43. I have been lucky to have had company cars, so I now have barely 69K miles on the engine. I now have been using my car more for work, driving in town, and out of town. Besides oil changes and new tires, I have not had to have any other work done on my car. I calculated a month ago that I was getting 38 MPG, so I am very happy with this car. I just hate they do not make it anymore. The big space is so unexpected for such a small car.

Best buy for gas milage
By longhaulbill

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you can find a used one, buy it! After driving my PT Cruiser back and forth to work (100 miles r/t), I was getting exhausted for money. I was averaging 22 MPG on the highway. My friend has a 2001 ECHO and told me with 236K miles on it, he was averaging 44 miles per gallon. So I wen shopping, found one with 92K for 4200.00. I am averaging 47.4 miles per gallon. It is a 5 speed and has air and power steering. It is not a hybrid, gut a little gas sipper. I love this car and with gas at $ 4.30 per gallon, this is a dream. Fun to drive as well.

Gas milage, roomy interior, easy to find parking, huge trunk.

None

I LOVE this car.
By ebadams

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in '05 with about 60,000 miles on it. It now has almost 200,000 on it and is still going strong. It has had no major repairs, save a new switch for the headlights. In fact, the biggest repairs I've had to do (replacing 2 doors) were from accidents; perhaps people have difficulty seeing the car because it is on the small side.
However, I get great gas mileage; sometimes close to 40 mpg (highway)! When I do need to replace this car, I will most definitely go with the Yaris.

Center placement of the gas gauge and speedometer. I love that I don't have to look through the steering wheel to check my speed. Great gas mileage with a small tank!

Could be a bit larger, not enough leg room.

Purchased my Echo new in 2001
By johnmichael2

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Echo will be 10 years old in the Fall with 104,000 miles. I recently began looking for a new car due to age and mileage. Then I realized how much I still enjoyed the car. The car is in great shape and has only needed normal replacement items such as oil changes, tires and brakes. After evaluating the Echo I decided I am happy with what I already have. The reviews posted here made me realize with so many with higher mileage I should keep driving the Echo.

I like the fact that the engine has a timing chain instead of a belt. Less maintenance. Distinctive looks and higher viewpoint than some smaller cars.

Bring it back into production.

6.5 years after first review
By ottrb

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We still own our 2001 echo. It now has 171,000 miles on it and no problems yet.
Only repair has been the downstream O2 sensor.
I replaced it myself--bought the diagnostic tool,maintenance repair manual CD and O2 sensor and came out ahead of the game.
The reliability of the Echo is outstanding.
After having owned American cars for over 30 years I now own two Toyotas--the Echo and an 03 Highlander.
And I wonder why it took so long to see the light and get rid of the American junk.
Maybe (according to Edmonds) the Echo was overpriced but after 10.5 years of reliable ownership the Echo has more than paid for itself in reliability and value.

Do I need to repeat reliability? After this long my previously owned Plymouths and Chevvies would have rusted out and made the repair shops rich. It still gets great gas mileage and the center placed instrument cluster presents no problem at all even after switching from the Highlander that I normally drive. Yes it's my wife's car and believe me if she wasn't happy with it it would be gone--she's happy with it!

Obviously the Yarus is a renamed successor to the Echo. We suspect the Echo died because of some instability problems owing to the wheelbase and height of the vehicle and probably worn tires. We replace the tires when they're worn and keep them properly inflated. Only instability we had was due to worn tires. When we finally end up replacing the Echo it will probably with a RAV 4. But we're in no hurry to do that.