Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (55 reviews )

Endearing little machine
By James and Joanna

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has won me over. Despite the awful center-mount gauges and ugly styling, Toyota did its homework. Interior space is larger than its subcompact rating would suggest, as is its trunk. The interior materials, while not much on a quality impression, are extremely hard wearing. Few rattles are to be heard. The ride is comfortable for a car with such a short wheelbase, but handling can be squirrelly especially at higher speeds or in crosswinds. The motor isn't exactly refined but even saddled with an automatic transmission it moved the car with surprising swiftness and equally impressive fuel economy - low 30's on my short commute with a/c and near 40 on long trips.

Economy, durability, comfort, room, power

Regular gauges, less forward rake on styling, bigger gas tank, better highway stability

Great little car that will last forever
By Michael

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

One of the best little cars I have ever owned, the power of the little motor is very surprising, all features are great only one thing no cruise control, otherwise gas mileage and no timing belt makes this an excellent choice. easy to tune up yourself as well.

fuel economy, spunk of the motor, ease to park anywhere, and yes no timing belt to change.

Cruise control, would love to have one, might buy the aftermarket one instead.

Best by Far
By vuduthmb

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm 57, and I have owned many cars. Nothing even comes close to the Echo. Ten years old, and still getting gas mileage close to a hybrid. Just change the oil and tires, it just keeps going.

I'm a big guy, and this is by far the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The interior design is perfect, with the off set, highly visible speedometer. Lots of head and leg room. Many little compartments and storage spaces, good cup holders.

A hot tub and a wet bar.

I LOVE this car
By Ronnie

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

It gets good mileage, average of 36 mpg, and it handles well for a small car. It's comfortable, though I find my shoulder hurting after sitting in it too long since I'm 6'1 and the armrest on the door isn't quite high enough to sit without slouching. The only problems so far are a catalytic converter and a charcoal canister. The Catalytic Converter was replaced at 79,000 and now needs it again at 90,000, that's a major expense only 11,000 miles apart. I do love this car, so hopefully once its catalytic converter is fixed it will be back to its excellent driving condition. The Toyota dealership was happy to see it and told me they are the best of the used Toyotas out there.

MILEAGE!!! It almost competes with hybrids. Room to move, being 6'1 there's plenty of room in there for me, other people are surprised when they get in about the amount of space since it looks like such a small car from the outside. Nice sound system. VERY reliable, I plan to drive it forever.

Car feels like it's going to be pushed into other lanes in high winds. A wider opening between back seat and trunk to put things through the fold down seat.

I just love this car!
By S. Bay

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been the best performing car I have ever owned, and has great gas mileage (almost equal to a hybrid).

The feature I love the most about this car is the placement of the odometer and gauges. They are centered in the middle of the dash in a console slightly angled toward the driver. Since I am 5'4, I do not have to look through the steering wheel to see the gauges, plus extra storage under dash.