Used 2009 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 293 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

PLEASE do NOT buy this car
By chefgirl1

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Corolla for 3 years now. It had 57,000 miles on it.
The only cars i have ever had have been Toyotas.
Never Again!!
My accelerator pedal became stuck 2 days ago I was merging into oncoming traffic on the interstate.
I went from 35 mph to a sudden 75 before the pedal came "unstuck".
It was the horrifying! My car was not a part of the recent recalls. Until after the incident.
I am scarred to drive the car now.
I warn all owners and people looking to purchase! it can happen to you! I never thought this would happen to me ever!

I called the dealership when I heard about all the recall stuff. i was told by the service manager it was perfectly safe to drive my car. She told me it was built in Japan, and that it was not a part of the recall. The day after the event with the pedal she called me back and told me to bring the car in that she had just been informed of the petal recall. the said they performed test on the vehicle reading the edr box. they said they found nothing wrong with my car. no signs that the event had taken place. i told them i no longer feel safe in this car, please do not make me drive it. I was told i had no choice that they couldnt help me.

After much research i have discovered that there is no possible way the read the box. they only have one computer that can read them in the entire United States. I also discovered countless stories like mine. even on cars that have had the recall performed. What is wrong with you Toyota? how do you sleep at night? Knowing that people are in danger to drive the vehicles you have made. I seriously think they have a major problem. Please do not buy one of these cars, ever! if you have one and it gets stuck, neutral and all the way brakes!! I will pray for your protection if u r driving one....

40,000 and counting
By tboyd8701

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Corolla S for just over 2 years now and put 43,000 miles on it so far. It lacks in the power, but makes up for it with 34-36 mpg. Handling is decent. Interior comfort is good, I drive for about 2 hours a day. I have not had any mechanical issues with the car yet and as for the recalls maybe people should take some defensive driving lessons or learn how to turn the ignition off and stop trying to get rich off of Toyota. Toyota was very good about taking care of the recalls and if I had to do it over again, I would without a doubt buy this car. Overall a great small car.

Gas mileage is great, handles nice.

It could use a little more power.

toyota corollaS 2009
By erica fisher

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I always get excellent customer service at colonial Toyota when I bring my car in for service. I have never owned a Toyota before, and it won't be my last! I would recommend the car and service at colonial Toyota.

6 disc changer, lots of room, rides nice, and very comfortable.

i have no complaints

It gets the job done!
By Hurasame

2009 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My wife totaled our 2006 Corolla LE. Decided we wanted another Corolla but with a little sport. So we purchased the S Model. Car looks sleek and aggressive. I agree with some posters that the paint needs to be more durable. Like maybe 3 or 4 layers. Gas mileage is incredible and you have to love spending about $30 dollars to fill up the tank. I wish though the seats can be adjusted in more different ways and the steering feels at times a little artificial. Other than that, I'd buy another Corolla.

Gas Mileage, easy to drive, drives well built

Fix the artificial steering feel, more durable paint, clock should belong on the center console like the older model, why does the outside temp have to be with the clock and mpg settings?

3 recalls and counting
By Martha

2009 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My car has had 3 recalls and a TSB. In the 14 months I've had the car, it has been in the shop 6 times. The steering still isn't great after the TSB. Toyota has assigned me a different first name from day one, and after many phone calls and faxes, I still can't get it corrected. Calling TOYOTA headquarters in Torrance, CA. IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME. I only drive this car around town and would be too scared to take it on a road trip. I owned a Subaru before my Corolla and drove it for 19 years. I would get rid of my Corolla tomorrow if I could afford to.

Size, great mileage, average 31.2 around town. I like the outside temperature gauge, and how the back seats fold down.

Move the clock next to the radio so it can be displayed all the time. I think Toyota should offer me a buy back.