Used 2006 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

The average car
By Scheets

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used a few years ago with 50,000 or so miles on it. I now have around 105,000 miles. So far it has been pretty reliable. We have not had any major problems so far. The engine still runs well, the transmission shifts smoothly in all temps and weather conditions. The audio system isn't great, but acceptable. The interior has a decent amount of space for a small car, and the trunk is pretty big. Road noise is average, but I always have music playing. Heat and A/C still work great. It has a very awkward steering wheel position and the handling is not very good. The gas is very touchy.

Great gas mileage. Reliable.

Steering wheel position. I don't know why, but I do get uncomfortable after a drive of longer than an hour.

What Else Could Happen?
By Jayris

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so before I fell out of love with this car, I loved it. No problems came along. Nothing what so ever. Now its a different story. Since the beginning of last year, I've numerous problems out "Toyota's best selling car". First was my drive belt or serpentine belt, whatever that is. Then my transmission started acting weird, so I had the fluids changed and still the same problem. Now its the brakes. My rotors are in bad condition with extremely heavy pulsation and shaking when braking. I've had service done about three times for the same problem and it still continues. Now there's a recall out. What else could go wrong!? Sometimes I wish that I'd never purchased this car.

Pretty much nothing.

Everything.

First, last and only.
By jehu

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say, you get what you pay for. While the car is very dependable and gets good mileage why do the windshield washers freeze, even with good quality washer fluid? Why do the rain gutters insist on failing to do there job? Why does it take so long to heat the cabin in winter? Why Toyota, why, this is supposed to be the magic carpet ride of automobiles, the unfailing Toyota Motor Co. The title of my review says it all.

Gas mileage

How about some rain gutters that actually move water to the back of the car, and not onto the side window, and then onto my arm.

Not as good as i thought?
By junior

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Had since '06 and been reliable except for the following. Had to have all brakes put on at 65k and I'm easy with the brake pedal so not sure why I'd need new brakes already but ole well. Horn stopped working after 45k miles. Needing tires now but thats a wear and tear item. They held up quite well knowing I have them still on and the car has 71k on it. Lights keep going out here and there. License plate light and one of the front hi beams keeps going out for some reason. The flashers don't work and haven't since 48k miles. Not sure why? The dealer said it a electrical problem and my warranty wouldn't cover it. Other than that no major issues. Engine fine for now. Thank god!

daytime running lamps, stereo a/c

put better quality paint on it (after 4 yrs my paint shouldn't be fading already and i wax it bi annually) better internal parts like horn and flasher mechanisms

Mixed bag
By N

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Got the used car in 2008. High resale value bites both ways, doesn't lose much value when selling, but ain't getting as much as competitor cars when buying. Decent build quality, but some haphazard metalwork and greasing present, probably clogged door's drain hole. Car is relative quiet and comfortable, but steering feels artificial, especially when hard turning corners; feels like wheel orientation and steering don't match up. Rattling present at 30K, unacceptable for Toyota. Lot of blind sides when backing up; lot of newer cars seem to have similar problems (trunk too high, pillar too thick, window too small). Bumpers can't take a hit. Reliable but disappointing purchase.

Reliability, quietness, ride quality.

Steering, better design for improved views, better quality control. Stronger bumpers that actually does their job. Auxiliary ports (probably already implemented).