Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Piratical A-to-B car
By praticalowner

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Understand this review is based 100% on the amount of money I paid for it in comparison to others cars at the time. Havening owned the Toyota Corolla LE Automatic for a little over 6 years now I’m glad I bought it. This car is exactly what you would expect for about the 15.5k or so I got mine brand new. I’m 5’11” barefoot, 220lb and I can make peace with the seating and steering orientation. The only negative thing about it is the fact that’s it’s a little under powered for my tastes, but then again I have a 530 HP(give or take) truck I play in. Also a lot of people say that it makes a lot of road noise. Let me ask you a question, how often have you heard a 2800 lb or so car not make road noise??? I also have a 97 Continental that is just as every bit noisy when you put in on the firm ride setting. And the engine in a 4 banger, this one and about every other I’ve driven does too.
The fact on gas milage are this, the thing get about 95% of the rated 34/MPG highway (that’s about 32/MPG) that the EPA says it should. And yes 34/MPG is the correct MPG for this model, the 06 is the one with the 40 or whatever mpg. I know because I saw it on the chemical back in February 05!!! Not to mention the fact if you multiply the 13.2 gallon tank buy 34 you get about 450 miles. I averaged about 390~420 miles to a tank on the highway so that’s all the confirmation I ever needed. I will admit the city mileage took a pretty steep nose dive to around the 25-27/MPG mark. It seemed to fluctuate from 290/tank to 320/tank. Then again the way I’m used to driving my truck that probably has a lot to do with it LOL!!! IT does not get stuck easy with good all terrain tires (trust me I’ve got it stuck doing dumb stuff in it). The paint job is a little iffy on the lower parts of the unibody, but overall it’s very smooth and even with the clear coat. The fold-down seats, don’t fold all the way down per say, but it makes plenty of room for an 8’ Christmas tree or a few 10 foot fly rods. If you really REALLy want to decide for yourself if this is a car worth buying, see if you can work a deal out somehow to drive one around for a weekend. I test drove several cars several times before I chose this one, it was the right price for what I was getting.
I did not buy this car because “it was the car for me” I bought it as a practical, reliable to way get to around and not completely bite it at the pump. I mean why do you think I got in in automatic???

The sound system, I was really impressed with the sound system this thing has. I believe they are JBL??? I never really found out but they sound a lot like my Northbridge series from JBL. Very fast warm up, I’ve driven cars that you had to get out and drive for 10 minutes before the heat would be worth anything. In mid 20 degree F weather, this thing takes every bit of 6~7 min, idling, with the air blasting on recirculate to warm the car up on the inside. Basically in the time it takes you to microwave a hot pocket and make coffee it’s ready to go. Very solid, responsive handling. To some people this means “stiff” and is a bad thing. When you’re trying to do doughnuts with front wheel drive and a parking break you can’t beat it haha! Or on a more series mater, if you try to miss an object you are less likely to over correct. This has happened several times to me and the ridged handling comes in pretty handy on knee jerk reactions.

Well… since they don’t make a 2005 in 2011 I would have to say none??? But I really don’t think they could have done much better without increasing the cost.

Amazingly Reliable But Bland
By Toyota 289

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Japanese car. I became disgusted with the past 3 gm cars I have owned. This car changed my view on Asian cars, I used to think they were junk. This car proved me wrong. Purchased used in 2007 with 15,000 miles it now has 63,000 miles with ZERO issues. The only things it needed were tires, brakes, and oil changes. Not by any means an exciting car, if your looking for reliability and economy this is your car, if you are looking for excitement you will be bored of this car after a short while. Overall it's a great commuter car for the person who just wants to get from point A to B.It's has fairly peppy acceleration for it's class of vehicle. This car is a great value for the money.

Fuel economy, reliability, keyless entry, interior trunk release, fold- down rear seats.

Steering column settings poor, they should have put in a telescopic steering wheel/column. The auto headlamps take too long to come on, annoying at night as it takes too long to come on to see the shift indicator and heater controls to light up. Get rid of that stupid chip key.

Best car I ever had
By jkellz

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my corolla in 04 with only 9miles on it. As of July 2010 i have 242,000+ miles on it and it still drives great. My first clutch lasted up for about 188,000 miles before it was replaced. but its not something to be driven in the snow.

nothing, perfect car, would buy two?

2005-2006 XRS is good to have one
By Andy

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had my 1986 Corolla GTS before and now I have chance to own a XRS. Though Corolla is an entry level of Toyota but still surprises me after many years! After 9 months driving, I am really satisfied with it. As a used car, the price go down a lot to a reasonable amount. However, the cornering still need to be improved by upgrading aftermarket parts. The original tuned suspension is unable to handle this car anymore which I feel too soft. 0-60 mph only 7.2 sec with top speed 130 mph (Lock by limiter) and 28 mpg with mixing freeway and local (I live in SF Bay area) If you plan to buy Scion tC, I would recommend you to have this one instead if you don't mind have a used car.

The VVTi-L engine and 6 spd transmission from Celica GTS give me a lot of fun.

If the VVTi-L turns on around 5,700 rpm will be perfect as the originally setting turns on at 6,800 to 8,200 rpm only. The factory rims should go 17" inches instead of 16" inches

Be very careful when buying a corolla
By jimsh

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After owning for 40 days, the fuel pump died in my corolla with 67,000 miles. The big problem is that mine was made in Japan. Because of that the fuel pump will cost over $800. If my corolla had been made in North America the fuel pump would cost $130-250. Why on earth would Toyota want to do that to their customers? Right now my car is still in the shop because I don't know what to do and neither does my mechanic. If the VIN starts with J that means it was made in Japan and you should not buy it!

When it was working my wife and I really liked the way it drove.

Toyota should not punish their customers for buying their cars.