Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Old 'Rolls.
By jayqohardd

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When receiving this car as a gift at 16 years old from my mother I had never been so excited!
Ever since then I have drove the car & I am now 21, & the car will be with me until it won't run anymore. From my first accident to the second one, to forgetting to change the oil, to a deer or three, to the three original hubcaps that are left, my corolla has never ever let me down. I have ran on empty far too many times than imaginable, and have never once ran out of gas. Dependable when I definitely need her to be. She is so reliable that we have named her "Old Rolls." because no matter the situation she rolls through anything. (corny I realize.)

Love the gas mileage!! On average I pay $20 a week on gas, if that, and drive over 500 miles a week to and from work (interstate.) I have never broken down due to anything mechanical wise, even running on empty for over 50 miles when lost. I love the fact that you never have to turn your lights on when it's dark, and that they also turn themselves off if forgotten. trunk space is awesome, especially when you're a college kid always moving to & from home! Very inexpensive to maintain. I pay little to nothing for parts when I have accidents & need a headlight, etc... Very comfy backseat for my friends. LOVE how bright the headlights are, especially the brights.

The cd player just quit, so I did have to purchase a stock one. You can definitely hear the belt running, especially in the rain! The brakes do ware down quickly, but I also realize due to a few accidents that this could have caused an issue. No stock key less entry on LE versions, so when it rains it pours. It is a 4 cylinder, & def goes up hills like one! I wish she had more power, but I definitely understand. The rear cup holders are ridiculous! By all means way too small & inconvenient. Leg room in the back is tight, wouldn't suggest anyone over 5'8" to sit back there. Stinkin' check engine light will not turn off! No matter how many car places you go to!

I believe this car helped save my life....
By kdblossom

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I just totaled this car on 12/15. The car looked terrible (with damage on 4 sides). The state trooper called it a rollover but it was more of a toss around. I impacted at least 3 different times before I stopped. The car landed on the drivers side and I still can't figure out why it did not land on the roof. I walked away sore and with a bruise on my leg. The state trooper(with 20+ years experience) was amazed that I did. This car has truly proven itself in a real world crash... car has truly proven itself in a real world crash....

Some parts should be recalled
By James

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

The door handle was broken in two years. I put two brand new catalytic converters on it the engine light comes back on again. It can not pass the annual inspection even though it still runs good with 125,000 miles on it. It's a pain to go through the inspection every year. It should last a life time.

gas mileage

the computer, catalytic converter, squeaky wheel

Just purchased it at 182,256 miles!
By Devon Edwards

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Wow, this car is amazing! I just picked up this car today and I love how it handles! and OMG 41 MPG on my particular model freaking awesome! I drove all up and down los angeles and haven't got below the "full" on my tank.

I love everything about it. I feel sorry for the passengers in the back seat cause they don't have any room. Hey at least I'm comfortable!

he MPG and reliability is overshadowing any negativity in this car.

9 years and still going
By barc77

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I wrote a review about 2 years ago at 74,000 miles. Car is still running well with 94,000 miles. No issues, only routine maintenance since purchased new. No oil burning issues as others have stated. Just replaced plugs for first time (were worn but no indication of oil or other issues). The car still seems to go through brakes and tires quickly. Always starts and runs smooth. Nothing exciting but gets me to work every day without any issues. Gas mileage 28-30 mpg in mixed driving. Interior has held up very well. Acceleration is as expected for a car with 125 HP.

reliable, easy to work on, outside temp gauge.

none at this point. If it keeps running well I am satisfied.