Vehicle2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
ReviewWe're scrapping the car today.
It made it to 90k miles.
It has the following problems:
* The motor (1ZZFE) was built with a design flaw, but Toyota kept using it.
Hundreds of people on the internet have reported the same thing.
It burns oil until it hits a point where every 100 miles it burns 1 quart of oil.
The engine went bad and needed a replacement starting at 50k miles
* The catalytic converter is dead.
* The rotors are bad and braking feels choppy.
* The driver door handle simply broke off when I tried to open the door.
* The clutch went bad at 50k miles.
* Some smaller issues like a leak somewhere that mechanics couldn't find, causing repeated engine lights and EVAP codes.
Best FeaturesThe heater works well.
Worst FeaturesThis car is best suited to be used as a prop in monster truck rallies.
on 07/31/12 00:02 AM (PDT)
I have the same problem with my 2001 Toyota Corolla, burns alot of oil, drivers side handle broke off, steering rod snapped in 06. Burning oil & the door handle seem to be a common problem with the 2001. I checked the list of recalls a few years back, neither problem was on the list. They should have been.Report it
You must be signed in to post a comment.