Used 2000 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

I love my corolla!
By Lee

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I totaled my new '98 corolla my freshman year of college (I wasn't hurt a bit though). We replaced it with 2000 corolla. I loved both cars. My little white "curla" has lasted me more than I would imagine. I drove it all through college, back and forth to work, and now, 9 years later, I have a carseat for my little boy in there, and commute 150 miles/day. And it's still just right for me. I have over 200,000 miles on it, have rear ended someone, hit a deer, and it's still tickin. Plus, I'm not looking to get rid of it any time soon, and when I do, I just might look at another corolla.

Great gas mileage. Lately it's getting 27-30 mpg

I have manual everything, except transmission. It's all lasted fine, but next time, I might upgrade to power locks, and maybe a sunroof. :)

It is what it is
By Mark

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have the stripped down VE model. Few bells or whistles. The interior is carefully laid out and only wish there was an arm rest. I agree with others that the 3 speed automatic is not the best choice, especially if you do a lot of hwy miles. Still, for reliable and basic transportation it shines.

Gas mileage. Reliability. Interior design.

Don't buy a 3 speed if you do a lot of hwy miles.

Toyota dependability
By Modameister

2000 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for a little over 4 years. I bought it when it had just over 50k miles on it. Now, it has almost 120k miles. I plan on running it for another 100 or 200k. It's a good little car and will probably be around for my kids to drive when they are old enough in another 16 years. My only issues with it are it's not very roomy, I'm 6'8" and don't fit very well, but I fit in here as well as I do in most cars, even bigger cars. The driver's side handle has broken, the ceiling fabric has developed a rip in the rear by the rear window from the driver's side windows being open. The driver's inside handle is broken and the window doesn't roll up. I only get just over 30 mpg. It was 36.

Gas mileage. It's small, fits in places. It can really fit quite a lot of stuff. I have fit quite a lot in there.

Better handle quality, longer lasting window motor. It's difficult to fit stuff in the trunk that is long and fat. make the opening between the rear seats and the trunk a little higher. The bumper tends to get in the way.

Oil Burner
By Larry Bowman

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Purchased car with 93K on it. Had owned five previous Toyotas and ran most of them past 200K. This one is an oil burner - uses 1 quart per 400 miles. Toyota does not recognize that it is a design defect although it seems to be very prevalent in these cars (98-2002 Corollas). If you are looking to purchase one - be sure to check the exhaust pipe for excessive black soot and look in the oil filler cap for oil sludge (check underside of cap for black crumbly deposits and look inside oil filler for brown coating - if it has these features I recommend to stay away from it). Also the engine light just came on - not sure yet what this problem is. Struts are worn out as well.

Car looks nice and reasonably comfortable. Fuel economy is above average.

Own up to oil sludge problem in these Corollas

Runs and Runs
By Louise

2000 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

My first Toyota and won't be my last. I love the pep and frugal gas usage. It is everything I want in a car! Would buy another Corolla in a heartbeat.

Like the pep and zip of the engine.

Bigger condenser for a/c