Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Outstanding
By Jacob

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I received this car from my aunt and uncle when I got my license. Since then, it's been in 2 wrecks (1 major, 1 minor) and it's still going strong. The mpg are amazing. I can get to and from Toledo (about 2 hour drive both ways) with only $20 bucks.

Mpg, great in snow, handles nice, durability

More room in the back seat, real sized spare tire(not that doughnut thing, not good if you get a flat), taller middle compartment

This car is amazing!
By rodnygil

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

Sunroof, gas mileage (30+mpg), reliability, sound system, interior quality, its paid for :)

Slow but its an older model, does not handle well in the snow. I really can't complain about anything.

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

This is a bare bones car. If you want the fancy extras, go for the CE or LE.

Considering this is a bare bones car, there is not much to ask for. The only thing I would like to have is OD on the 3spd automatic. If you want a light in your trunk, get one of the LED stick on lights at the autoparts store. Toyota has had EVAp issues with these cars and should fix the defects.

I must have got the lemon
By Jason

1999 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.

Great fuel economy. Everyone talks about how reliable these cars are, I guess I got a lemon.

The plastic interior in the car is terrible. The cup holders are made out of a foam that tears easily. The door covering my center console has broken off and my arm rest compartment does not open or shut properly.

Wow you can't kill it
By n/a

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

250,000 miles and never have replaced anything except tires. If you want a car that lasts mechanically this is your car. I am not easy on cars and this one has never left me stranded, whether on long trips or 100 mph for half an hour. Worth its weight in gold.

Way too nimble at high speeds.

Larger... am 6'1 so makes a tight fit.