1997 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: 1998 COROLLA LE, black

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

1998 COROLLA LE, black
By guitartec on

1997 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

1998 COROLLA LE AUTOMATIC.
I bought it in Sept 2012 with a confirmed 98K on the odometer with the intent of keeping it for MANY years to come. I drive 100 miles per day, so I want the ride quality top notch (well balanced). Due to this, I personally installed a new Bilstein suspension, including new "normal ride height" springs, all greasable good quality fittings, super heavy-duty inner tie rods and polyurethane bushings. I did this because the orig. suspension was sagging a bit making it tough to get over the bump at the foot of my driveway.

UPDATE 7/2016- All the greasable front-end parts wore out very quickly (within 2 years) so I replaced all the Mevotech X-Factor parts with ProForged parts. Just replaced the exhaust manifold and downpipe and ordered new wheels and tires. Did all this for its 200k birthday (and to pass inspection).

UPDATE 1/2017- All the Mevotech X-Factor parts are gone out of the front end. They were worse than the greasable components. The Proforged front-end parts are doing a great job of surviving the rigors of winter in New England, tho. The Corolla is going strong but is starting to use about a half qt. of oil a week. Can't complain.

ME WHINING.... I spent considerable money trying to make this car a smooth highway driver. It is much better than when I got it, but even with alloy wheels and excellent well-balanced tires, the car simply has certain speeds where it harmonically vibrates, which is noticeable by its steering wheel shake. All I can say is my 96 Subaru Legacy had the best steering feel of any car I've ever owned.

• Cargo storage

• Getting in out
  • Active safety
  • Usb ports
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review