Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

The best little car available
By Jason

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my corolla over 2 years ago from my mom, she had it for 8 years herself. She never had one problem with it and neither have I. Just replaced the timing belt and that's it besides normal maintenance!! It feels like a 5 year old car with 50,000 yet it has 180,000 and is now 13. If you're looking for reliability this is the car for you.

it doesn't break... ever

make them again

Good over all car
By Michael

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 176000 miles on it and the previous owner was an old lady and drove it with the axle almost broken so it messed up the transmission so I had it replaced. Other than that, the car runs and handles well and now it has 190,000 miles on it and the engine still does not burn oil and no leaks. Of course I have to do the regular maintenance. It's a really great car for starters and specially now the gas price is going up again.

Roomy, easy to use controls and a nice small car.

I guess more insulation to buffer wind noise.

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

MPG and maintenance costs that makes SUVs and trucks weep tears of injustice and envy. Runs and runs and runs; fairly smooth engine and ride considering its petite size.

None; this car has already exceeded my expectations in longevity and service. NOTE: The rankings are assuming compared to all cars, not "others of its class"; if so, should add one point to all "Ride/Drive" items.

Wish it would last forever...
By ToyotaYes

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it in 1997. I have never had any major problems with this car. It has always been reliable. I am just sad now that I have over 171,000 miles that it is finally going to cost me more to fix than the car is worth. I tell you I am tempted to get it fixed anyway. I LOVED driving this car all these years and my next car will certainly be a Toyota. I wish it could keep going for another 171,000 miles.

Great Reliable Car!
By Jessie

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car! I bought the car from my parents right out of high school. The car has been very reliable and gets great fuel mileage. This car has handled well on dirt roads and in town. For the most part I have only done the basic maintenance on the car: tires, oil changes, brakes. For the car having 230,000 miles on it, it has done really well. The only problems I have had are the lights for the air adjustment don't come on consistently and the rear struts just went out on it. I have been very happy with this car and am looking into other Toyota models to replace it.

Fuel mileage, reliability.

More room in the back seat.