Used 1990 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best I ever had
By crisgonzal

1990 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing. I drove it to college and then exchanged for a newer car. But I will never forget this good friend. I took it to Miami, DC, Niagara Falls, New York, South Carolina. I miss you Toyota Corolla 1990!

Reliability.

It's an OLD Toyota
By Billy Tom

1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

My Family has owned this vehicle for 6 years now and it's been a real trooper. It survived 2 new drivers. We've done repairs but nothing major. I really do think this car is going to last. The only flaw is that it is a metal cage of death. It is such a small car that if you get into an accident, you're going to die. There are no air bags and our seat belts barely lock. However, if you're not traveling very far and want a reliable car this Toyota is awesome. I personally want a safer vehicle. I think it has over 300,000 kms. It also has a lot of rust on it, but that could be just ours.

The Engine and Transmition

Needs to be safer.

Great car
By gallantronx

1990 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006, it had 155990 miles on it and I used it to run errands and go to school to get my GED which I received in 2007. After that my mom used it on the paper route which she still has; the car got thirty-five MPG which is great for a car. The tie- rods went out first then the CV Halfshaft but all in all a fairly reliable car that does not use oil. Because of this car I decided to become a mechanic, this is the easiest car to work on - suspension, steering and Oil change. It now has 205,567 miles on it and I hope it makes it to three hundred thousand.

MPG Acceleration - able to pass three School buses going Seventy. Made in Japan.

Better Headlights

Modestly one of the best
By first car

1990 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Wagon

Nothing glamorous about this car, but it continues to be a pleasure to own. I marvel at this piece of engineering. It has a strong, quick engine, it is agile, gets great gas mileage, and needs little in the way of major repairs (knock on wood). Concerns are that it tends to run hot, so you have to pay attention to fluids; and it is a compact car so big people are not terribly comfortable. I bought the floor model, which was made in Japan. I "only" have about 190k miles on it, so it sounds like it is easily good for another 75-100k.

Gas mileage, steering, strong engine, carries a lot more than you'd think, if necessary.

Interior gadgets (visors, overhead light) have fallen apart. Heating and air conditioning are not great. Seat belts are terrible.

Corollas are great
By cory

1990 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Ok this car has been great, 202,000 miles + and all that has happened is one bad water pump, 1 broken timing belt, 1 bad alternator the factory one finally gave out in 07. I think only 3 minor parts for a car that has over 200 grand on the motor is great. The dash is getting some cracks due to me treating this car like crap. I never do any regular maintenance but it still runs great. When I can afford to treat my little economy car to a treat I do it with full flushes on all or most of any fluids it contains but other then that just tires, brakes, caps, plugs and wires every now and then with occasional oil changes about 5,000 miles give or take a thousand miles but the thing keeps on tickn

The gas mileage it gets about 30 plus mpg almost all the time it waivers when I have not gotten a good tune up. the plastic under the roof makes it easy to clean and it stays thier unlike fabric top interiors that tend to sag over time. That even though its a small car a big guy can drive it.

Better suspension, more universal style of tires, better brake calipers, better 0-60 speeds. Overall the mpg make up for most of any other performance problems I feel it has a good 200,000 to 300,000 miles left to live or even more who knows.