Used 2002 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Unique racy looks, easy to own!
By bcd

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it 6 yrs old with 40,000 miles, Toyota certified used. Has been totally reliable, and I get 35-37 mpg, driving mostly highway miles. I love the handling and steering - it feels very nimble, light and capable. The styling is unique and my Celica gets lots of looks and comments. Adequate power, firm but comfortable ride. Really everything you expect from a sports hatchback.

Styling is very unique and bold, both inside and out. Steering and handling. Much better mpg than you'd expect.

You'll wish the cupholders were someplace different. Poor rearward visibility can be annoying.

Solid coupe
By Matt

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Solid sporty coupe, had it for almost six years now and the only maintenance I've had to perform is changing fluids, tires, etc. It doesn't have massive amounts of power but with a manual it's possible to extract decent performance out of the base GT engine. Turning is superb; the car handles like it's on a track. The handling compares favorably to a Cooper S and is comparable to a Miata.

Handling. Auto on/off headlights. Crisp shifter and clutch. Fuel economy.

Standard ABS. 1/8" Line-in on stereo. Continued production of vehicle.

Dependable Car
By celica02

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car was very smooth when I first got it. Fun to drive alone or with another person. Doesn't have a lot of torque or horse so I wouldnt recommend carrying 2+ passengers. Very nice on the turns. This is my first car and I'm planning on driving it until the wheels fall off. Sport seats are very comfortable. Makes you feel like you're sitting on the floor. This is a good car for daly commuters or first car owners. I shouldnt gotten the GT-S package. Looks nice with the TRD body and has more horse.

The exterior design is sleek. The size of the car isn't too big or too small but small enough for an excuse to not taxi people around.

Bigger wheels. Standard sun roof. Also a special discount for celica owners for when the replacement model comes out.

They Need To Continue Making This Car!!
By Jennifer Pirelli

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been my dream car since high school and I finally got one for myself and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I absolutely love the sleekness of its body, it's so sharp around turns, it really hugs the curves, it feels like driving a little racecar except it's really not that fast, but it sure looks like it is!! It's a beautiful car and I would recommend it to everyone, it's so dependable, I have never had a problem with it. I've had it for about a year and a half and I bought it used, but certified, and it has never been in the shop for anything but inspection and oil changes. I love it!!

The body, the way the power window buttons are on the center console, I laugh at all my passengers who can't find the buttons, the whole appearance of the front of the car, I think the headlights and foglights are my favorite, the stereo system isn't half bad either!

Come out with some brand new models!

This is one smokin' ride!
By Levi

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

For as cheap as you can find these now, these are some of the most fun to drive, and reliable cars around today. Consumer Reports gave it the most reliable sporty car award this model year.

Sharp styling, smooth ride, chick magnet.

Bigger standard wheels, lil more bang in the standard GT motor.