Used 2001 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

The TOY in Toyota
By Brent

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have only good things to say about this car. I just traded it in for a Matrix and I miss my Celica like crazy. The Celica is the perfect car if you want to get somewhere, use little gas and look great doing it. I purchased it as a certified pre-owned and it never let me down once. No major services, just routine service. The handling is amazing and for only being a 4 banger the car has some pep. Friends loved it and I loved it. I hope to go back and buy another 2001 Celica GT in a few years when I can afford to keep two cars. Only down side is for someone tall you need to push the seat back leaving no backseat. My only reason for the trade is that I needed that space for work and more people.

Sporty look, amazing handling, great gas mileage, great stock sound system, fairly large trunk space for a sports car. I loved this car!! I would recommend it in a heartbeat!!

More leg and head room for rear passengers and smoother ride (but hey - it is a sports car).

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S
By matt

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Since I have had this car it has been nothing but problems. It has been in the shop for about half the time that I owned it but with the time that it has been out of the shop it has been great. This car has out performed all the cars that I have had in the past with great gas economy.

My favorite feature is the sixth gear on the highway.

More room on the inside.

Oh what a feeling! (NOT)
By California07

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '01 GT as a Toyota Certified Vehicle. Three weeks out, found that it burns oil at about 1600 mile to a quart - complained to Toyota and went to arbitration, but they won't warranty until it's burning a quart every 1200. Last month the catalytic converter died (warrantied by Toyota) and last week the manual transmission died at 82K miles - just had it repaired for $3500, since Toyota would not cover it, though it was a Certified Vehicle and used carefully. Think twice about buying a Toyota Certified Vehicle - worst car I've EVER owned, and I've bought 8 Toyotas since a 1971 Crown, and several that I drove 200+K miles.

Fun to drive.

Get back to Toyota reliability - this thing is JUNK! Toyota won't be in first place for long if they develop cars like this!

Generally a nice car
By driver

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

All around this is a fun car to own. Sometimes it's hard to find the right gear when shifting and there is not enough inside lighting on the control panels on the dashboard. There is no lighting in the trunk and it is impossible to find things at night. This is definitely a safety hazard (personally). At night with a flat I had a frightening experience .

This car has great steering control and is sleek looking. I also like the foot pedals. Fun to drive when not in traffic.

More lights. You shouldn't have to turn on overhead lights when driving at night to find something on dashboard. Definitely a light on the sidepanels near car jack. Tighter shifting.

Best Car for College
By J in Hawaii

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car for a college student. Sure you wont be able to fit 5 people in there, but thats about the only downside. 4 is no problem. 30mpg combined, cheap regular gas, looks good, and the most reliable car I've owned. Good handling, good steering. Headlights are bright. Good hatch space, was able to fit a 32" TV (tube, not flat panel) in there. Try that in your coupe or sedan!

fuel sipping efficiency, good looks

More torque down low, but cant have everything