Used 2000 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Long time owner, still a fan
By ME1

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for almost a decade now. I've had it stolen, the rims were stolen while I was in Basic Training, and crashed it at least 5 times (once for over 10,000 dollars worth of damage, lol) I still love this car. I finally bought it three years ago, and am now finally finishing a lot of the projects I thought, my meager budget could handle (stereo, performance parts, etc.). It was rough on clutches, 2 in the last 100,000 miles, or maybe I was rough on clutches. Great brakes, only changed twice. Tires normally go out about every two years, but you can't have everything. (I blame the stopping power.) I'm having trouble finding what to replace.

Reliability, fuel economy, longevity, this car has been dead on reliable for 8 years!!! Now I'm starting to be amazed how easy it is to modify, a dash that comes apart with a little tugging and 4 screws, no way. Bumpers that are clipped on, too easy.

The stereo, and cruise control. Man, the engine seems like it will run forever, but that stereo broke in 2004. Cruise control isn't very smooth, but works. I wish my first car was this reliable, maybe they should demand Toyota double check all other cars before they hit the street.

This is what a sport compact SHOULD BE!!
By Chantilus

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car with 60,000 miles. This car is truly amazing. I have a fully loaded GT-S in red and it is by far the best car I have owned (out of 6). The steering is tight and precise, the shifter engaged beautifully and the handling is amazing. It isn't the quickest car but it is ultra lightweight and when the VVTL-i kicks in at 6200 rpm the thing really comes alive. I am 5' 11" and the car fits me like a glove. Hatchback is very useful and holds a lot of cargo with the rear seats down. Never a single problem since I've owned it. This is the ultimate Sports Compact!

Fuel mileage - I averaged 31 MPG in mixed driving - just shift at 3000 rpm. Handling is great. Car looks amazing, gauges are clear and easy to read. Sunroof adds style and is great in the summer. Sounds system is great for factory (JBL). Seats were very supportive, interior just looks cool.

Besides a new model (the tC is NOT at celica replacement), the cupholder stinks and will hit your elbow if you like to hold the shifter while driving. I like the style of my 16" wheels but wish they were 17" s. How about the supercharger from the Lotus Exige S 240 stock? Can't wait for the new one!

Great car
By celicagts

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my celica for almost a year now with no complaints. The look of the car is like no other almost like an exotic look. Performance is great but only after 6200 rpm when the "lift" hits as Toyota calls it with its variable valve timing. Handling is great even better when you put aftermarket springs in the bring the car a little lower.

6 SPEED!!! 8200 RPM redline leather seats

More horsepower is always nice. Other than that you can't complain its a TOYOTA!

This car ROCKS
By GTS-Lover

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

The GTS models are simply the best... quick, reliable, bullet-proof, great gas mileage, you name it. I have over 120,000 miles on this car and it runs and drives like new. Handles like it is on rails (mine is lowered just a bit), awesome and easy to modulate brakes, tight steering. The stock 6 speaker stereo is excellent, with surprising bass. The only thing that has gone wrong with this car was my own fault... missed a shift at 8000 rpms (third to 2nd instead of 4th) and bent all the exhaust valves. Fixed it and she has never complained. I get 32-33mpg combined (city and highway), and I can run 87 octane gas without knocking (with just a little power loss). Best car I have ever owned.

Performance, gas mileage, reliability, very fun to drive. This car will swallow just about anything with the seats down... even big screen TVs.

None... love it the way it is.

Love it!
By jessek1

2000 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have wanted this car since high school (graduate of 03) and finally bought one in 2007. Had only 24k on it so practically new. I have lots of other drivers look my way. People always compliment that the style looks new, most people assume it is a new model car, not knowing production was stopped in 05. I will keep it until it rusts from under me!!! Despite the frigid Iowa weather last year, it started fairly easily before work. Needs more power, men especially will want to race me, only for me to act like I am receiving a phone call from someone right when it turns green. Tricky, tricky!

Interior, nothing says class like leather. I do love the cassette/cd player. I still do have cassettes from the 90's.

More power! I have a little boy and his car seat is very hard to anchor because of the back seat design. Back seat is designed for only two skinny people hip-to-hip, unless you refuse to have friends then its very roomy in the back!