Used 1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

First car!
By swissferdi

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

Beautiful and well thought-out interior; low weight; sports-car feel (without the balls, sadly); pretty decent MPG; is very comfortable in city or highway; factory fogs; very unique, I could count the number of 6GCs I've seen on two hands.

Toyota screwed up in the power department, the ST just has no guts. But for those with cash lying around, a 3S-GTE is the answer.

own for 8 years
By richie

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 65,000 miles. Now I've had it for about 8 years and it has 193,000 miles and it never has given me any bad problems other then the starter and cv boots. Overall I enjoy this car.

The exterior is awesome looks like a small Supra.

More power in the 1.8.

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

The interior is really nice, everything is in arms reach. Handles really well, the great gas milage and the dependibility. The size of the hatch when the seats are folded down.

Cup holder is in a bad location and wished it had more power.

Incredible
By Rugby in Texas

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for close to 10 years, and there is nothing better. Could use more horsepower, but it works. I just got in my first accident. I totalled the other car. I connected the battery cable and I was off with some physical damage on the car but still in great driving condition, This car is a security blanket, superbly reliable. I will never get rid of it.

Cute car, fun to drive
By Keri

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car that I've had to myself. It is perfect for me. Very reliable, great gas mileage, and fun to drive. It has a tiny engine, but you can't tell by the way it drives. It has plenty of power for such a small car. It has sufficient room for me and for my stuff in the trunk (I am a musician). But it is pretty tight for carrying passengers. There are four seats and I don't recommend this car if you are tall. Other than that, it is a great little car. It is very sporty looking, and heads always turn as a drive past. I am extremely satified with my Celica.

Styling, color (super red), seats and mats embroidered with "celica", spoiler, stock cd player and sound system is amazing!, reliability, gas mileage, power, handling (handles great on ice too), nice, five spoke wheels, good condition.

Limited edition comes with wood trim around the dash etc. It originally was nice, but when it's aged, the layers separate and it looks ugly. Fortunately, the trim is easy to remove and you can either leave it or buy new trim online. It is a cute, tiny car. Don't expect leg room in the back seat.