Used 2012 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Poor Quality
By Ann Koz

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Paint chips all over car. Swirls in black paint. Seats are made of poor material. Noisy on highway. Tires had to be replaced after 27,000 miles. Very well maintained but you would never know it. Will not buy another Toyota and this is my third. Very disappointed.

Well done, Toyota
By ccotie

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Camry CPO in 2013 w/ 41K miles on it. I consider myself a pickup truck guy, but as sedans go, this car has been a pleasure to own and to drive. It has the Sport package with the styled wheels, and draws a lot of compliments. I recommend the SE with the V6, they give the car some personality. Still, I would love to see some performance-enhancing features made available, like AWD or a turbocharger. Even with the upgraded engine, I regularly achieve 26mpg combined. It's no Challenger, but the handling response is sharp and the acceleration is surprisingly brisk. I have almost 100K on mine now, and all I ever do is regular maintenance.

-Sharp styling -Powerful engine -Good gas mileage -TONS of features -Toyota reliability

Would LOVE to see a TRD coupe version with: -AWD (or at least RWD) -Turbo -Optional 6-spd manual -More aggressive exhaust

Great Car
By kph1983

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had a Toyota Camry SE V6 as a company car for three years (97,500 miles). Thoroughly enjoyed driving this car. Car combines great performance from V6 engine with good gas mileage. 70% highway driving yielded roughly 26 MPG. Strictly highway trips around 29 MPG. Camry accelerated well and handled like a smaller sports car. Comfort of cloth seats was not excellent but nothing to complain about. Extremely reliable as no other maintenance than oil changes and tire rotation. Would recommend this car to anyone!

Not What I Expected
By veltonc

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving my Camry LE 4 cyl. for a little over two years and have 70,000 miles on it. Basically, it is over valued and over praised. I have a rear main oil leak which unusual for such a new car. I have found that road noise is atrocious, also, there is wind noise. The car doesn't hold the road well, and there is hesitation when I start to accelerate when I first start driving. I am a big person, 250/lbs., and the drives seat is not holding up and the rest of the seats are hard to keep clean. Also, the suspension is terrible and fills like you hit a brick on every bump. The front end is too low and scrapes on small dips. Overall, I would give this car an F rating and I love Toyota.

Gas mileage 35-38 mpg road and 28-30 mpg in town. The car also accelerates when passing very well.

I think it needs a whole do-over on suspension, interior, and road and wind noise.

2012 SE 2.5 after 35k mi
By drjjjj

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Pros: The looks have grown on me (like the wedge) the interior is well designed and worn well (no wear) the mpg avg is 28-29, 65% highway, no breakdowns, should have good resale.
Cons: have 1 second VVTi cold start rattle start at approx 15k, will need new cam, etc. Toyota will replace no charge-but factory sealed motor no more-we'll see. Tranny needed re-flash for slow speed shudder which wasn't too bad-about 45mph did some intermittent slight shudder -gearing too tall for mpg improvement?

I would argue todays car is getting overly complicated because of the pressure to get MPGs!! Also, don't even touch the new direct injected or CVT trannys most offer now (read forums)

Econo car MPG, tracks/handles great for a family car in the SE form factor, quiet/smooth engine which suggest quality of engineering, stylish/upscale enough and exc value because of re-sale, reliability (I hope now-see above) and entry cost of 22k with no iterest. No direct injection and no CVT tranny (both could cost a fortune to repair later) good visibility, safe- knee airbags, rear curtain bags. Like the fold down seats-must have.

Dump the paddle shifters(don't use, tranny more intuitive) and put money into paint and interior (looks like they have on new one-interior) keep the ground clearance at 6+ inches (it's enough) don't fall for DI or CVT (other than Prius planetary gears-OK) and give us back a conventional analog temp gauge. More travel in the front seat (backwards) Thanks, Picky Engineer