Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 222 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love My Camry
By camrydrvr1

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my Saturn Vue for an 09 Camry SE.
I traded my Vue due to a new job where I have to commute and hour each way.
The comfort, safety, and gas mileage is what made my decision for me.
My camry has 70,000 miles on it currently.
I have had no problems at all.
I keep up with regular oil changes and I keep my car very clean.

My favorite features are the bluetooth phone service, stiff suspension especially around highway enterance and exits, sporty look, sun roof, JBL stereo, gas mileage, lumbar support, and roomy back seat and trunk. I also like the pick up for a 4 cylindar on the highway and traction control is very helpful on winter days commuting to work. I am 5'11" and all leg. I appreciate the leg room throughout the vehicle. It is hard for me to find a car with a driver seat that goes back far enough for me.

There are a few blindspots to look out for with this car. I have to be extra careful making lane changes and backing up. The head rest does not bother me. It is the side of the car which is difficult to see. Maybe larger side mirrors? It can be difficult to see out of the rear window when it is foggy, snowy, or rainy. I miss having a rear window wiper.

I am in awe at what a piece of crap this car is
By yousmell102

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Leased a 2009 Camry Le back in the summer of '08. Couldn't be more disappointed. I have had the weirdest problems with this car, ie accelerator and brake pedals that have a mind of their own.
In the past year the car has developed an annoying and extremely dangerous problem where the tension of the gas pedal seems to be constantly changing. Sometimes, it responds with just the slightest amount of pressure, other times, applying it with the exact same amount of force results in no acceleration at all.
It's like the car encounters dead spots where it simply refuses to accelerate.
You'll need a burst of power to pass or just to get out of someone's way, and it won't be there!

(Continued) I'm don't claim to be a mechanic, but I commute more than an hour to work each day. I feel like I can accurately say that this Camry has serious acceleration problems that I suspect have to do with the electronic nature of the throttle system. It's possible that mine is a lemon and simply has more of these problems than most Camrys, but I could not imagine an inexperienced driver feeling safe in this car. I have contacted Toyota dealers repeatedly expressing concern over the inconsistency of the pedal response and they have always denied problems. SO GLAD I LEASED THIS CAR

How about pedals that work?

Not happy with quality
By soapbox17

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This Camry is not the Camry of the old days. The interior materials seem to be cheap. The SE vehicle suspension is horrible. You can every bump. The acceleration in the 4 cylinder veh was OK until the recall on the brake pedal. Now the acceleration is horrible!!! My vehicle is Black and the factory paint had bad places on it when we bought it and we had to have the PS door and rear bumper painted. The paint is very dull and even when clean it is not shiny even with a wax(almost like to they did not put a clear coat on it).I had a 2000 Camry for years and loved it until my daughter's boyfriend totaled it. This 2009 Camry could never stand up to the quality of the older Camrys.

Sporty look. The look was the reason I bought it.

Quality of product!!!!! It seems Toyota is not what it use to be!!! The seatbelt cuts into my neck and I am 5'7". Better pickup when taking off from a stop!

Hate my car!!
By jennifer_zuri

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted a Camry for such a long time.
I traded my 2003 Chevy Tracker with 140k miles for this piece of junk Camry.
I had the car for 5k miles and it already needed new brakes. The take off is terrible, the RPM's go very high on take off, it smells like it is burning and the interior is very poor.
My air circulator turns off all the time letting the outside air in and the ride is really rough.
The clearance is terrible and now @ 40k miles the dealer tells me that I have to get a fuel injector cleaner on 3 of the injectors (at 150 a pop), a power steering flush and again new brakes!
WOW, what a deal!!

None

Build a better car made of metal and not plastic!

Hat!e It
By annette1993

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I hate it, absolutely hate it.
I had a 2003 Camry SE that was a fabulous cream puff.
In seven years never needed anything but brakes and tires.
Comfortable, well made, good on gas, great car, loved it.
Unfortunately, I totaled it and replaced it with a 2009 Toyota Camry LE.
What a terrible mistake.

I am really shocked, what a piece of junk.
Inside cheap plastic, one vent is broken, cup holder is inconveniently placed, and seat is extremely uncomfortable.
What were they thinking when they redesigned the interior?

I have never been so uncomfortable in a car.
The worse part is, I am very apprehensive while driving it because it has so many blind spots.
The rear window has extreme poor visibility.
The car also makes wide turns.
I cannot judge when parking or turning onto lanes.
I can’t see the curb when I am making turns.
I have to lean forward out of my seat when making turns because I cannot see where I am going.

I have had a Honda, Buick, Nissan, Camry (2003), Chrysler, Chevy, Toyota Supra, and never had this problem before.
Also, gas mileage is not as good as the 2003.
Additionally, cheap paint job.
In one year paint is peeling, yet my 2003 never had that problem in seven years!!
The car also has poor pick up.

The 2003 Camry was a far superior car in every way.
My mechanic agrees with me.
Toyota is now making garbage.

I am so sorry that I did not buy a used 2003 – 2005 Camry.

None.