Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Good Machine
By nolanm

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The transmission is quick to kick down to a lower gear and hold the rpms high when I need it to.
When I'm driving easy it drives easy as well and gives me soft buttery shifts at low rpm.
It also has an engine braking feature that automatically downshifts if it senses I am dragging the brakes on a long grade. You couldn't ask for a better automatic.

Handling is soft which I prefer, but it also has great feel at the limit, if a turn is taken too fast it behaves predictably and its easy to regain control.

I love the interior, it's minimalist by design, very classy.

Update: I replaced the water pump at 80k miles. It was easy to do and cost about $75. No sign of the excessive oil consumption some are experiencing. I use synthetic 0w20 oil and rev the engine hard on occasion which I feel is essential.

its a love hate relationship
By michelle1969

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall I love the car and it rides like a dream, but my car has 62k on it and my dash is melting and I have very odd shakes rattles and rolls going on.
Is anyone aware of any recalls for the dash melting?
Its really annoying, and for $15k (I just bought it 3 months ago). I dont think I should have a melting dashboard in a car that is only 5 years old

Dashboard Sticky and Melting in Sunlight
By ses4747

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used. In the 1st week my dashboard appeared overly shiny and sticky to touch. In the 3 weeks I've had it my dash as begun st melt literally with small to medium size holes in it. If anyone has the same problem I'd like to know. [HTML removed].

I called Toyota about this problem. They denied that they have been called on it by anyone. I've had big problems with Toyota in the past, i.e., their customer service and support is TERRIBLE. I swore I would not buy another Toyota after the experience I had with them on a 2004 Camry I bought new. I sued them on that car. Toyota's customer service is bottom of the all.

Extrimly Fun
By sashach

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought 2009 Camry Se about 8 months ago in Autumn and i have to say in the beginning it was a little iffy. The first thing we noticed is rattles in the dash panel, which Toyota told us would cost 900$ to fix. (p.s. i
fixed most of the rattles for 10$ by applying a thin strip of spongy material under the dashboard clock). Another thing that was little strange is the whining noise coming from the engine on low rpms, but after asking around i was told its the way engine works and no problems after 10 k km. Other than that it is a gorgeous car,
this is my first vehicle and its my baby. One thing to note is if buying, ask if the car has wind kit and nv008-07 upgrade.

Btw we have white Camry Se, and by adding a low hanging mud flaps, and plasti dipping the wheels and emblems black makes it a real head turner.

We got a lemon
By kfran

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Well it's bound to happen that when a company makes thousands of a product, there will be a bad egg in there somewhere. Unfortunately, we bought the bad egg. Camry was purchased brand new and at 24,000 miles we started having problems with the car nearly quiting on us as we were driving it. Engine light came on & we've had it at a local Toyota dealership if not every week but every few months since (we now have over 60,000 miles). The car has had the computer reset, a coil replaced, last Friday April 29, a spark plug was replaced after the Toyota engineers reviewed the codes because the mechanics couldn't figure it out. Well, sorry to say, the car is back in the shop today-still not fixed!

trunk space

driver seat needs more support