Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Transmission Problems
By First Camry

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new toyota purchase. After a lot of consumer report reviews, 2009 Camry was my first choice. This is an excellent, comfortable car to drive. But, we are having troubles with the downshifting on the auto transmission. This transmission can go into a "gear hunt" looking for a gear to drop into when downshifting. Also can drop into a lower gear without cause so the car will nose dive. Camry's had transmission troubles in the past... they could be back for 2009.

Comfortable ride, plenty of leg room for tall drives. Large lined trunk.

Use of a little less cheap plastic on the interior. Side door moldings should be standard on all models.

Dependable car but uncomfortable seats
By Shelly

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car for the dependability and easy handling. You don't need muscles to turn the steering wheel or stop the car. However, the driver's seat is uncomfortably hard and I hurt after a few minutes of highway driving. Also there's no lateral support. The head thing hits me when I'm on the road. I never feel like I can relax in the seat. I have to sit leaning forward, lumbar deflated, grasping the wheel at 10 and 2, or I'm in pain. I've had pains around my hip muscles and lower back since buying this car. Also, I can't see behind me when backing out of parking space due to pillars. Otherwise, it has a nice ride and looks good.

Decent ride. Takes little muscle to steer or brake. Looks attractive. Dependability was the big selling point, as is resale value (at least I hope so, cause I don't know how much more of this car I can take).

Seat cushion needs to be softer and have more lateral support. We older buyers need more cushioning because things start to hurt when you reach middle age. I have to sit on extra cushion, and even then it's iffy. Rear visibility should be improved. Engine braking should be moderated so car can coast.

Lacks pick-up
By Alice

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned 2003 Camry (4- cyl.). I absolutely loved my 2003. I traded it in for the new 2009 body style. My 2009 Camry has very little pick-up. It barely gets out of its own way on Interstate! Scary!!! Also, the door storage areas and console areas are not as large as in the 2003. The 2009 Camry is somewhat disappointing. I don't necessarily dislike the car totally, but I truly miss the pick-up from the 2003 Camry.

Nice size trunk. Sleek looking exterior.

Work on pick-up.

1st Time Toyota owner
By bh

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Have owned the car for 2 months. Best features are the smooth and quiet ride. I recently rode in a friend's new Accord and the Camry is much more quiet and much smoother. The engine is very quiet at idle, and at 70 mph. The handling is not very sporty thanks to the drive-by-wire steering; needs more road feel. The car downshifts too much when going up slight grades at interstate hwy. speeds; otherwise the transmission is very smooth and shifts seamlessly. This is a five- speed and I can only imagine that the new 6-speed would have more of the downshifting problem. Overall I really like the car and believe it is a good value in the midsize category. I don't regret the purchase at all.

Smooth transmission and quiet/smooth ride. On a recent trip we got 32.6 mpg at constant 70 mph. Expect to get even better mph when car is fully broken in. The dashboard design is so simple and user friendly. Electric seat is great; seat sits quite high in "up" position. Great cabin visibility.

Better road feel in steering. Needs to have more solid material in rear wheel wells instead of fabric.

Almost perfect
By steve

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I test drove the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima . The Camry had a more pleasant ride and that's a difficult chore in the streets of NYC . Quiet and responsive was the Camry , with excellent fuel economy. Me being quite tall at 6 ' 4 inches I felt very comfortable but the only drawback I've experienced is on long drives. I find myself making a few adjustments to the drivers seat to get comfortable. Other than that the car is a perfect buy for a family of 4. Trunk space fits 2 large suitcases with no problem and the gas mileage on the highway at 55 is 34. Very happy with the purchase and looking forward to many years of reliability. After all its a Toyota.

soft quiet ride, reliability, very good fuel mileage

none