Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

The Good Bad and Ugly
By Judy Limburg

2009 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We bought our 2009 Toyota Camry XLE in the winter of 2012 with 30,000 miles on it. We now have 77,500 miles on it. We are a bit disappointed at the amount of work we've had to do on it . . . we had to have the fuel pump replaced. The struts were next. New tires and, if memory serves me, a new battery as well. And now the ABS module is on the fritz. Fortunately, the first two repairs were under warranty. But, of course, as soon as our warranty runs out, we have the MAJOR expense of the ABS module to deal with. It's at the dealership now being diagnosed. We are anticipating a repair cost of $2000 or so. Not fun. The good - the car is comfortable, reliable (mostly) and gets good gas mileage. The bad - the repairs we've had to do. When you buy a car at a reputable dealership, you don't anticipate having such major repairs to make. The ugly - the $2,000 we will most likely be stuck with when we get the call from the dealership later today.

Oil and Engine Issues :(
By Nick Franky

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my car for a while now. I bought it in 2011, 2 years old for about 13k. After replacing the melting dash, door protectors and starter. I now have issues with oil, I took my car for its scheduled oil change and the mechanic says..."You have no oil in you car, and its back firing, I think you should take it to the dealer because we wont be able to do an oil change". So I take my car to Toyota and the keep it over night. they tell me nothing seems wrong but the are testing the oil consumption I have to bring it back within 1200 miles. BUUUUUUUT my check engine light is on and when I start my car it trembles, I have to let it sit for a while or restart the car. This was my first car I bought all alone, Finally paid for in full and this POS gives me hell after I make my final payment(April) . oh yeah, a mechanic told me its about 6k to fix, car is only worth 5k!
I don't think I will buy another Toyota...Honda here I come.

Oil today and gone tomorrow!
By Tonya Stafford

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had oil consumption issues since about year one. I have owned it 8 years and have complained continually about the oil consumption issues. It uses a quart by 1300 miles after an oil change and another quart at 1100 more. I have driven it until it wouldn't crank only to discover there was no visible oil on the dip stick. I had the oil consumption test and qualified, waited almost a year on a waiting list to find out by accident that it was not documented correctly. I recently qualified again and am now waiting for the necessary parts which could take some time to come in. Seriously, my engine might be shot by then. Not sure I'll buy another Toyota, after all, this is the same car that caused me to almost crash as my gas peddle got stuck and drove me through main street at about 65 mph! Toyota should be better than this. Other than those two major problems, the car has been pretty good. My husband's Toyota Tundra is 14 years old and has 200,000 miles with no problems yet and we bought it new. Toyota might have slipped on quality where it mattered during the years my car was made.

I traded this car in September of 2016. Toyota had still not managed to get the parts to fix my car's oil consumption problems. It had a sticky dash that was on recall and I was just less than 200 down on the list to get it fixed. It had 123,000 miles on it. I just could not deal with the issues anymore. I did not replace it with a Toyota.

Oil Consumption Problems are in my 2009 Toyota Cam
By walterfisher

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Oil consumption problem is in my 2009 toyota camry.

having issues
By Chris badertscher

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a 2009 toyota camry LE with 76000 miles. After owning it for only a couple weeks I've had it stall out on me as I slowed down for a stop light. Also the other day as I was driving the brake light randomly showed up. Anybody else having issues with their camry of around the same year stalling out?