Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry still a great car
By camryfan105

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car for about a month or so, love the ride and the comfort it offers, the stereo, mp3 jack and all of that are great, the transmission is a little jumpy, and the car shudders around 40-50mph. All things considered a great car overall, the car floats down the road at 60mph, have to watch my speed sometimes. I have put about 4,000 miles on it in the short time due to long distance driving and its been great, 27mpg city and 31-32mpg highway fuel economy, can't beat that. Camry's have been in my family for years and are always great this one is no exception. My first Camry that I have owned by myself, and I love it.

The stereo is awesome, the ride, it just floats.

Toyota needs to look at the transmission problems and come up with a fix, as well as a fix for the shuddering, as I have heard of others complain of it also.

What happened Toyota?
By kueker87

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had a 93 Camry and put over 250,000 miles on it. Loved it... So I upgraded to the new Camry expecting the same sort of reliability and quality, which I still expect to get, but the car does have a weird shuddering problem around speeds of 40-55 mph, especially going up hills. I took this to my dealership (very friendly) and they told me that is just what happens when you're trying to push a car up a hill at 1200-1500 rpm's at 40-55 mph, the engine has to "shake" a little to get up... The remedy is to drive in GEAR 4 when you're town driving - Drive in D on interstate. I haven't had an issue with the shuddering since. Toyota should still try and locate the problem and issue a recall.

The design - Toyota's known for dependability and quality, should help resale value in future. Love the inside features... everything seems quality from the inside and oustide. Very nice car.

The shuddering problem. Stop ignoring the complaints and please do something about it. That is not normal, and I don't like being told that it is. The compartment below the CD Player is seemingly useless... with my GPS plugged in, I can not use it for anything. Nonetheless, I'll always buy Toyota.

Camry 2008 Automatic
By Prasanna

2008 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Camry is a good vehicle to own and drive. It performs well on good roads. I have not had the opportunity to test it on bad roads, so I can't comment. I would rate the vehicle overall 5 or 6 in a 1-10 scale.

Size, shape and feeling of safety when inside the vehicle.

I have had a problem of shuddering of the vehicle from the day I purchased it. When the automatic transmission shifts from higher to lower gear, the whole vehicle shudders and it feels like the vehicle is going to switch off. The passengers feel like they are thrown forward even with seat belt on.

Love my Camry!
By KyleeAnn

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Could not have chosen anything better at this point. Feels safe, drives beautifully, and looks like a Lexus GS. This is a great car!

Stereo, comfort, space, smooth ride!!

Beautiful but shakey
By rar2

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this brand new 2008 LE V6 at the end of 2008. Within a week the seat and steering wheel would vibrate when driving 65-75 on the highway 30 miles to get to work. Also had issues with the bluetooth. Brought in repeatedly. Eventually a TSB was sent out by Toyota regarding vibration/shudder after months of complaining, but it didn't completely resolve the issue. Toyota Rep insists it's the way Camry is designed. Had Honda's for 20 years, first toyota, incredibly disappointed. Do not feel safe. Also experience transmission hesitation as others.

Handsfree, when working which is majority of time. Ability to have manual transmission in automatic - great in snow. Comfortable ride, even sometimes when on the highway. Love trunk size, fits everything.

Make it so the car drives smoothly on the highway, if truly by design (although I doubt it). Reduce driver awareness of shifting.